[Help] Keeping Your Accounts Secure

Securing your RuneScape & Email Account

In light of the recent attacks on our forum database, it is essential that everybody that is registered here takes care of their email & runescape accounts by securing them properly to prevent intruders and phishers from accessing your accounts. I'll provide you with information and links to guides that can assist you in securing your accounts.

The following are must read guides if you want to keep RuneScape & your email account secure. The best practice would be to create an entirely separate GMail account, specifically for your RuneScape account, then using 2-step verification on it so that it is virtually hacker proof.

If you have any questions about the methods used in these guides, feel free to ask about it. If you have material you'd like to add to this topic, then let me know. Thanks, and please stay secure to avoid being hijacked!
You are no better than anyone else, and no one is better than you.
Good info here, thanks for posting, Jordan! Hopefully it helps some of our members!
[Image: evaluate-staff.png] 
Have a question? My PM is always ON.
Thanks for this Jordan. smile
Switched my personal email address to a new runescape one I made (dunno why I dint do that before, seems obvious now) and used 2-step verification on it, so hopefully I am safe, and you guys are too!
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

Great info, thanks jordan smile
Thanks for posting this Jordan <3
[Image: angusmotm.png]
Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
Thanks for posting this Jordan!

Can I just ask though, do we definitely need to change our email and password or is it more of a precaution? Not to say that I won't be changing them both as I will, I just wanted to make sure if it was something that was necessary or down to us.
[Image: rawries.png]
Didn't know about this 2step verification

Thanks for this post Jordan
(2012-06-26 11:55:43)Rawries Wrote:  Thanks for posting this Jordan!

Can I just ask though, do we definitely need to change our email and password or is it more of a precaution? Not to say that I won't be changing them both as I will, I just wanted to make sure if it was something that was necessary or down to us.

Someone else is in possession of all our email addresses used on this forum as well as (possibly) the password hashes. If your email that you use here for Surreal is linked to your RuneScape account, I'd advise using a different email or changing it around for your accounts' security.

And, no worries guys Wub your security is most important in a situation like this!
You are no better than anyone else, and no one is better than you.
Yahoo has the same kind of 2-step login system in the beta stages, but it might not be available to you depending on what cell phone provider you use. But just the same if you have a Yahoo account you will want to look in to that.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones
Gmail is awesome for security! Great guide and info!
[Image: 13847_s.png]