[Guide] Clifford's guide to computer security and maintenance.

(2011-07-16 19:29:53)`Killer Wrote:  I switched from AVG to Avast a few months ago. I like it tons better.
You might try the program CCleaner too. I assume it's similar to Tune-Up.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I'll be adding more programs from suggestions in the future, couldn't do too much at this moment in time, my net is running on 0.4mb connection atm=/ but I will for sure add CC cleaner. I used to use that and it's a great program. I'm using avast too at this moment in time, trialling it for a while. I will be adding it next time I update, however I just put down basic easy programs for beginners smile
[Image: whid1.gif]
Zone alarm is good, but I prefer Online Armour for firewall purposes. Also, I highly suggest you use something besides AVG. I would try something like Mcafee 8.5i(well that is a business version but you get my drift). I have always had horrid experience with AVG.
Haven't seen it mentioned, but I use Avira AntiVir as my antivirus. Switched from AVG, was having major virus problems, maybe they've fixed their program since then, but if it's the same as it was about a year and a half ago, I wouldn't touch it.

I second Shay's suggestion of MalwareBytes, amazing program. I also use Defraggler, by the same company that makes Ccleaner. All it is is a disk defragging program, but it's a lot better than the standard one that's included with Windows.
[Image: evaluate-staff.png] 
Have a question? My PM is always ON.
Ohey *digs this thread from it's dirty grave*
I figure you just came back, so I can ask Tongue

Why do I need a firewall, anti-virus, AND an anti-spyware? I thought they were all part of one thing? Also, are you still using AVG? I need to get a new one super fast. I got a free copy of McAfee, but the darn thing isn't working. (didn't really work before either... so I figure something else would be good XD)
Also, I like when it's able to stop crap websites or warn me about them... would AVG do that for me? Because I'm an idiot online and always manage to click things I shouldn't.

Hubs will blow me up if I miss this computer up, so I thought I'd check with you guys smile

Thanks <3
[img=0x40]http://i.min.us/idZkQa.png[/img]
[img=0x200]http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/137/505/zQLMZ.gif[/img]
[Image: 7WiM6jg.png]
g & a p m p r o f i l e
s t a t s (Click to View)
(2013-06-27 02:27:00)Lady Wrote:  Ohey *digs this thread from it's dirty grave*
I figure you just came back, so I can ask Tongue

Why do I need a firewall, anti-virus, AND an anti-spyware? I thought they were all part of one thing? Also, are you still using AVG? I need to get a new one super fast. I got a free copy of McAfee, but the darn thing isn't working. (didn't really work before either... so I figure something else would be good XD)
Also, I like when it's able to stop crap websites or warn me about them... would AVG do that for me? Because I'm an idiot online and always manage to click things I shouldn't.

Hubs will blow me up if I miss this computer up, so I thought I'd check with you guys smile

Thanks <3

I no longer use AVG. I use ESET antivirus currently and it's pretty good to be fair, light on resource and I got it for free, however it's relatively cheap and amazing.
The reason I have put an all around is at the time not many anti-virus' implemented full spyware detection and really, it was just a namedrop and was not very effective. These days some are quite good. Are both needed 100% of the time? Maybe not, but if you don't have the program running on the startup and use it to scan occasionally, what harm will it do?

Now, as for using AVG. I haven't used it in a while, I stopped a while back due to it becoming quite resource hungry on my laptop, some alternatives being Avast which was good and I enjoyed it. It was web control so stopped the por... bad sites from loading and always did the job.

Firewalls are a first line of defence, they stop most of your internet ports from being vulnerable and accessible.

Have I answered your question?

ALso, if you wait until tonight (I'm on GMT.) after work, I will send you links to updated antivirus' and software that you need, this post needs updating.
[Image: whid1.gif]
Anti-Virus and Firewalls are 2 completely different things, but are often packaged together into a single software. Anti-Virus doesnt really do what it says in the "Anti", it doesnt prevent virus' or do anything to stop them, it simply removes them if it finds them, and thats a big if.

A firewall on the other hand prevents unwanted traffic connecting to your computer, though most people are behind a router (not to be confused with modem), which does a pretty good job of filtering traffic out anyway, but the firewall just adds that extra layer from inside the network, should you be connecting to public networks, internet cafes, etc.

If you can be bothered with the extremely strict security, warnings for every new program you install/use, the way the anti-virus is constantly scanning active files on your system and instantly quarantines them without asking, and will continue to do so, even if you restore the object, until you've setup an exception. Then comodo internet security (free - they dont advertise it well, but there is a free version), then do so. Its the best firewall for windows i've ever come across and far surpasses anything else i've seen.

Otherwise i would suggest ESET or MS Security Essentials.
@iWader on Twitter.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide Archaeology Guide Aurorae Auri 25 24,755 2021-08-17 21:58:22
Last Post: Aurorae Auri
  Fast SC Guide - Events & Stealing Creation Info Lady Spyra 3 3,152 2020-12-11 01:34:17
  The Arc Guide! Kermen 9 7,876 2020-09-02 03:52:27
Last Post: Kermen
  Guide Completionist Guide Aurorae Auri 10 10,645 2020-04-13 15:45:11
  Guide Level 3 to Quest Cape - Quest Order Guide Aurorae Auri 6 9,121 2020-01-31 02:30:59
Last Post: RinToyama31