[Guide] DUNGEONEERING GUIDE

Hii!

This is a dungeoneering guide for those of you who seek to level up in this minigame skill.

Table of Contents:

- How to get started
- What is prestige and how do I get the maximum XP?
- Which floor do I pick?
- World 77 Party Invitations
- Dungeoneering Language
- Rooms & Bosses & Obtaining Items
- Invention in Dungeoneering
- Tactics
- Final Word

How to get started:

You can start this skill by taking a boat west of Al Kharid bank to Daemonheim, then walking all the way to the top of the mountain. You'll see the skill guide there, who gives you a Ring of Kinship when you talk to him. If you click this ring, you see the following:

https://imgur.com/BEuleut

1: The list of party members. The person at the top of the list is the group leader (further referred to as 'keyer')
2: Click this button to start a party. You will become the party leader unless you right click someone's name to promote them
3: Which floor you have selected. By pressing 'change' you can see which floors you and your group members still have unticked (so you still have to do)
4: The complexity of the floor. Selecting 1 means you will get almost no xp, and is considered 'rushing'. Otherwise you play with complexity at 6 (the maximum)
5: This should only be turned on for hard-mode dungeoneering, not for normal dungeoneering
6: Your current progress is the amount of floors you have done since you have last pressed the reset button
7: The reset button. Pressing this will change your 'current progress' to 0 and move what was there to 'previous progress'
8: Your previous progress. The higher this is, the more xp you are currently receiving (elaborated in the next section as prestige)

What is prestige and how do I get the maximum XP?:

'Prestige' is your previous progress. The higher this is, the more XP you receive. Why? Because at the end of every floor you do, you see the following screen:

https://imgur.com/yIUL9cy

1: The XP you receive for finishing the floor you have selected. This number is always the same for that floor number  (in this case floor 48)
2: The XP you receive for finishing the floor of your prestige. So in this case, this person had a prestige of 49, so this number is the amount of XP you get for completing floor 49. This number is always the same for that floor number (in this case floor 49)
3: The actual XP you get before any of the bonuses are added. This is the average of these two numbers.

As you can see, thanks to the prestige (number 2), this person gets a bit more XP (number 3 compared to number 1) than they would have if their prestige wasn't this high. Therefore it is VERY important to NEVER reset your ring unless you have done ALL the floors you can do!

Lastly, the numbers in 1 and 2 scale to the amount of people are joining you in the floor and on the floor size. Therefore it's is a very good idea to do your high floors with 4 others and in a large floor. It will give significantly more XP than doing it alone and/or in a small or medium floor.

Which floor do I pick?:

The 60 floors are divided in different themes.

https://imgur.com/phXI5Gv

Abandoned 2 is usually refered to as A or Aba.
Occult is usually referred to as O or Occ.
Warped is usually referred to as W or Warps.

This is what the screen looks like to select a floor when you press '3' in the first picture of this guide:

https://imgur.com/wMHggxl

1: A ticked floor (you've completed this)
2: An unticked floor (you still have to do this)
3: Confirm button, don't forget to press this when you've pressed the floor you wish to do

When you do a floor all by yourself, you're free to choose as you wish. However, when you go with other people, often you will see situations that I can best describe with examples.

Good combination:
Beccah hasn't done floor 16 yet. Flink has, but he hasn't done floor 13 yet.
They can still go together! Floor 16 and 13 are in the same theme (Abandoned 1). If you do a floor you have already done but another floor in the same theme is open, that other floor will tick off. So if Beccah and Flink decide to do floor 16 now, that is okay. Beccah will get XP for doing floor 16. Flink will get XP as if he just did floor 13, and it will also tick off 13 for him.

Bad combination:
Lady Spyra hasn't done floor 16 yet. Rex Advenes has done floor 12 to 17.
They can't go together (or they can and Rex Advenes will get very bad XP). Floor 16 is in the Abandoned 1 theme. Rex Advenes has already finished all of the Abandoned 1 floors, and therefore will receive NO XP for completing the floor (so 0 xp in the first spot in the picture where prestige is explained). She will still get prestige XP, but this is not worth it for her. She can still help Lady Spyra out though, of course, if she wants to.

World 77 Party Invitations:

It can be hard to find a team to go with, but a lot of people meet up at Daemonheim in world 77 so going there helps you find a team more easily. However, these people sometimes speak gibberish... what do they mean?!

When someone is hosting a floor, they will often want 4 others on their team to get the maximum XP. If they want to do Occult floors and are still looking for 3 people, they will usually announce this as follows:
O+3       or  Occ+3
When someone is looking for 1 more person for Abandoned 2 floors, they'll say:
A+1      or A2+1     or Aba+1     or Aba2+1
When someone is looking for 2 more people for Warp floors, they'll say:
W+2     or Warps+2
When someone is looking for 4 more people for so called 'high warp floors' (usually Floor 57 or above), they'll say:
Hw+4

Sometimes they add another number after that, for example:
O+3  110
This means they want 3 more people for an occult floor, and they want their dungeoneering level to be at least 110.

To show you are interested in joining a group, simply send a trade request.

Dungeoneering Language:

When doing a floor with higher leveled people, you will notice they say random letters all the time. These abbreviations are perfectly explained in this guide:

http://board.clansurreal.com/thread-8355.html

Rooms & Bosses & Obtaining Items:

The most common room you will come across is a 'guardian room'. One of the doors in the room is a 'guardian door', and progress can only be made by killing all the monsters in the room. For other rooms it's just a matter of having done them once to know what you have to do. You can look them up here:
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeoneering/Puzzles

Bosses aren't very complicated either. They too just take a little bit of practise. You can look them up here:
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeoneering/Bosses

Bosses will usually drop an item that is hard or impossible to come by otherwise.  Primal is one of those things. It has a level 99 requirement in the relevant skill (anything <99 can be made with smithing/crafting).
These are the bosses that drop items that I find useful:
- Bulwark Beast (F12-17): Primal hatchet & pickaxe (99 wc/mining)
- Rammernaut (F18-29): Primal maul (99 str)
- Skeletal Trio (F36-47): Sagittarian shortbow (99 range)
- Necrolord (F36-47): Sagittarian chaps (99 range&def)
- Hope Devourer (F48-60): Sagittarian top (99 range&def)
As you can see I've pretty much only included ranged items. This is because range is by far the best combat style to go with once you get to F36 and above due to the huge amount of mages that need to be taken down.

Other useful items are dropped by slayer creatures inside the floor.
- Eddimu: Blood Necklace (90 slay to kill but can be traded to anyone in the floor) - Heals you over time
- Nigh Spider: Shadow Silk Hood (41 slay to kill but can be traded to anyone in the floor) - Makes mobs not aggressive to you

Invention in Dungeoneering:

There are two useful items that have been introduced with invention.

- Lock Melters: They melt a lock of 1 door per party per floor. Choose wisely.
--- 1 Lockpick (GE)
--- 50 Smooth parts (adamant maces)
--- 30 Tensile parts (maple shortbows)
--- 2 Ethereal components (portents of restoration)

- Party Simulators: If a party has 4 or less people, this simulator will (virtually) add 1 to increase the XP for everyone at the end.
--- 250 Dungeoneering tokens
--- 25 Connector parts (rings of slaying, adamant claws)
--- 25 Padded parts (blue d'hide bodies)
--- 1 Evasive components (blue d'hide bodies)

Tactics:

So now you know how all of the dungeoneering works, it's time to talk about tactics to gain the most XP/h.

First of all, you need to understand that lower floors give lower XP. The idea is to 'rush' (do the floor on complexity 1) your lower floors as they don't give much XP anyway. Eventually you're looking to rush to at least Floor 1-29.

Your higher floors you don't 'rush', but try to do with 4 others in a large floor to give you the most XP. It is important to acknowledge that there are two roles in any floor:

1) The keyer
The keyer is the leader of the group. This person keeps the ggs on the critical path (the path to the boss). How would they know, you might ask.. well, it's a big puzzle! This is by far the hardest role, so beware. You need to understand that there is a critical path and various bonus paths in every floor. The critical path is the path that is required to get to the boss (including the keys to get there). Bonus paths are generally useless. Any keys found on it will only lead to other bonus paths and will not be required to get to the boss... but as you can see under the header about prestige, doing bonus paths can give up to 13% more XP, so it's nice to do as much as efficiently possible. It is the keyer's job to keep the group gatestone on the critical path, NOT the bonus paths. You can never figure out what is 'crit' but you can sometimes find out what is 'bon'. It's important to realise that sometimes a bonus path DOES NOT show the next 2 points. It will look exactly like a critical path. This method is 100% precise when everyone on the team has pretty much the same skills. The more different levels there are, the less accurate this gets.
Something is a bonus path when:
- You get less than around 450 xp for opening a skilling door (make sure you don't have bonus XP and try to make sure all your team mates have XP share turned off to avoid getting an XP drop you weren't expecting)
- You see a tree/rock/fishing spot that isn't your highest skilling spot or the one below, lvl-wise
If you see you are on a bonus path, make sure someone else finishes the path. You go back to wherever you thought you were on crit and go a different direction from there. Always carry the ggs!!! This way it will always be wherever help is needed most (crit, as this leads to the boss).

2) Others
All other people basically have the same role... Try to kill everything you see whenever there is a guardian door, teleport to the ggs whenever the keyer asks for help (unless you're busy), finish bonus paths (gate them if you can't finish them instantly) and generally be a combat-help to the keyer. Try to pay attention to calls such as 'emotes' or 'levs' as everyone in the floor is required to be there for the door to be opened. The keyword for this role is COMMUNICATE! Try to go to a path the keyer skips, but help them if they ask for help. Use your gatestones to go back to where you left off, and remember to call your gates as you gate them.

Final Word:

I really hope you've learned something from this guide to make this skill more enjoyable for you. I honestly didn't start to enjoy this skill till I felt comfortable in both roles which was around 110 dungeoneering, so I can definitely understand if you hate it right now. Just don't give up hope lol, I swear it's really fun to watch yourself get better.

I wish you the best of luck! If you feel like something is missing, let me know and I will try to answer it here.

Becca
Thanks for the guide, Becca. I'll have to learn some of those abbreviations you and Flink were using.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide Archaeology Guide Aurorae Auri 25 24,369 2021-08-17 21:58:22
Last Post: Aurorae Auri
  Fast SC Guide - Events & Stealing Creation Info Lady Spyra 3 3,068 2020-12-11 01:34:17
  The Arc Guide! Kermen 9 7,716 2020-09-02 03:52:27
Last Post: Kermen
  Guide Completionist Guide Aurorae Auri 10 10,418 2020-04-13 15:45:11
  Guide Level 3 to Quest Cape - Quest Order Guide Aurorae Auri 6 9,001 2020-01-31 02:30:59
Last Post: RinToyama31