[Guide] Player Owned Farm Guide - XP Focused

This is going to be a really fast guide focused on gaining XP on Player Owned Farms. After trying to figure it out, I think I finally have some understanding on how to get it started and have it all set for you to start pumping some nice Farm Xp daily.

A few things I'd recommend first:

Wiki's PoF page: https://runescape.wiki/w/Player-owned_farm
PoF Discord page: https://discord.gg/kqhz6sF

The wiki page is great if you want to look something more in-depth, like times of growth, beans from sale, diseases, etc.. and the discord page is great to buy/sell your animals and to check prices. Another great place to buy/sell is PoF on w2

Lets get started

First you need to do the tutorial to get things rolling. Your Farm consists of 2 of Small/Medium/Large pens and a Breeding Pen. After the tutorial you'll have 1 small pen unlocked and the breeding pen. After that you'll need to get beans (which is the currency of the Farm) so you can unlock the other pens.

Each pen have a maximum amount of animals that it can hold: Small (6), Medium (4), Large (3), Breeding (4). Your goal would be to unlock all the pens so you can have your animals growing on them all the time.

How the XP gaining works?

Each animal have 4(5) stages of growing and each stage have a fixed time, (Egg)->Child->Adolescent->Adult->Elder. At each stage you can check them for a XP drop, and it doesn't need to be checked at a stage for it to continue growing, you can put an animal as a child and just check it at elder stage to gain all the XP in one go. After the animal reach the elder stage, if you are only looking after XP, you should replace them with a child(or Egg) pet. The pet will always be growing while on any pen, breeding or normal. Also the pets don't need food to grow.

You also get a bit of XP, after curing your diseased animal. A diseased pet doesn't stop growing.

Breeding

This is an important aspect of the Farm and a way to get some animals yourself. You can have a fully auto sustained Farm. Your animals will only breed at the breed pen or after you unlock the breeding on a normal pen. The animals will keep breeding until the pen reach their capacity. Each animal have a breed chance and a minimum amount of time for it to breed. They will start breeding from adolescent and keep breeding even as elders. You need a male/female pair but same sex will also breed.

Traits

Each pet have a different trait, up to a max of 3 traits. You can buy a trait re-roll at the store and it will re-roll a trait of your choosing at random. Each trait will do a different thing for your pet, from improving breeding, to getting more diseased, to being shiny. If going only for XP, those can be ignored, they are really important for breeding though.

Disease

Each animal have a chance of getting diseased. Curing it will reward a small Xp drop. It won’t stop the animal from growing but will lower it status which may lower the breeding success. Having food on the pen will lower the disease chance.
I’d recommend checking this for further information https://runescape.wiki/w/Player-owned_farm#Disease

Feeding

Food is used to help improve your animal stats. Having no food in the pen will not prevent it from growing. To learn more about the food check this https://runescape.wiki/w/Player-owned_farm#Feeding

Beans

Those are the currency of the Farm. You can get a bit for completing the tutorial, some after achieving 99, 120 and 200m Xp and if you were a Gold Member in 2018 you can get a free 500 beans from the NPC at the grand exchange. You can also get those from selling your animals to the animal buyers that appears on your farm, they appear based on the type of animal you have in your pens and only 1 buyer from each type of pen. They also show on a set schedule. Each animal stage will give you a percentage of the max beans, also having the farm outfit and the animal that your buyer ask will improve your beans gain.

The XP gaining process

Now that I think the basic is somewhat explained, let’s start the XP gaining.

First thing I’d recommend trying to unlock at least the medium and large pen by buying some adolescent animals. After that getting the Pen deeds II in order.

Now that you have all the pens unlocked, I’d buy baby animals(or eggs) and start filling your pens.

How the XP gaining works? You put a baby, wait for it to get to elder, remove it, put a baby, wait for elder, rinse and repeat. Not that difficult. This will yield the most XP, but it will cost you some GP.

If you want to get a self sustained Farm, you going to need to make some changes and spend a bit more beans to unlock the breeding inside normal pens. After that, you will lower the number of animals growing inside your pens. I’d recommend 4 on the small, 3 on the medium and 2 on the large so you’ll start breeding some babies that you can either save for own use or selling for some profit.

After you have everything you want unlocked you should focus on getting some Magic beans. Those act like the best seed you can plant and will grow instantly.

I think that it’s all. I know lots of more in-depth information is missing, but the Wiki is a good resource. If you got confused by something feel free to ask either here, on discord or in-game. Happy Farming!
Thank you for this!!

Which animals would you suggest having in your pens for the best XP and easiest maintanance?
(2019-01-30 02:47:07)Beccah Wrote:  Thank you for this!!

Which animals would you suggest having in your pens for the best XP and easiest maintanance?

For the maintenance, you only have to care if you plan on breeding your own animals because they need food. If you plan on getting them from either w2/discord just fill your pens with chinchompas, zygomites and dragons.
(2019-01-30 12:29:29)Mini Kniight Wrote:  

For the maintenance, you only have to care if you plan on breeding your own animals because they need food. If you plan on getting them from either w2/discord just fill your pens with chinchompas, zygomites and dragons.

Alrightie, thank you. I do like to breed my own, so zygomites are a bit of a pain... but I’ve got the other two all set up! What is second best for the medium pens?
(2019-01-30 14:27:23)Beccah Wrote:  
(2019-01-30 12:29:29)Mini Kniight Wrote:  

Alrightie, thank you. I do like to breed my own, so zygomites are a bit of a pain... but I’ve got the other two all set up! What is second best for the medium pens?

It would be spiders.

For breeding I'd recommend getting the breed on normal pen from the Granny unlocked. After that I'd put 4 chins on a small pen, 3 zygos on a medium and 2 dragons on a large.
(2019-01-30 15:13:29)Mini Kniight Wrote:  
(2019-01-30 14:27:23)Beccah Wrote:  
(2019-01-30 12:29:29)Mini Kniight Wrote:  

It would be spiders.

For breeding I'd recommend getting the breed on normal pen from the Granny unlocked. After that I'd put 4 chins on a small pen, 3 zygos on a medium and 2 dragons on a large.

Fantastic, thank you!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide Archaeology Guide Aurorae Auri 25 24,775 2021-08-17 21:58:22
Last Post: Aurorae Auri
  Fast SC Guide - Events & Stealing Creation Info Lady Spyra 3 3,154 2020-12-11 01:34:17
  The Arc Guide! Kermen 9 7,881 2020-09-02 03:52:27
Last Post: Kermen
  Guide Completionist Guide Aurorae Auri 10 10,659 2020-04-13 15:45:11
  Guide Level 3 to Quest Cape - Quest Order Guide Aurorae Auri 6 9,125 2020-01-31 02:30:59
Last Post: RinToyama31