[Guide] Acorn's In-Depth Farming Guide

As many of you know I've recently been on my way to 99 farming and it seems to me there's a lot of people that are pretty overwhelmed with farming or just don't know where to go. Granted, I'm not 99 yet, but I think I've amassed a fair amount of knowledge on the skill. Farming is an overwhelming skill to learn because it is such a different skill. Please note: I am doing this as much for my own benefit as for anyone else's - I often am forgetting stuff in RS and I think it should help. Alot of this information is taken from personal experience and from RS Wikia as well as other guides! 

Why Farming?

Whether you're just trying to knock out achievements, quest requirements or your max cape. Farming can be great fun and even make you quite a bit of money along the way! (If you're patient!) 

Helpful Items

Scroll of Life - The Scroll of Life can be used to unlock the ability to recover seeds from farming patches. It gives 10% chance when removing dead/fully grown plants from patches, and a 5% chance on tree patches. Does not apply to flower patches/special patches. 

Farmer's Outfit 

Pretty simple - there are five pieces to the set. Each piece gives 1% extra experience. Complete set will give you 6% extra experience. Must be worn for benefits to apply. 

Rapid Growth

I have not used this personally so I can't really give any advice - but I've heard from others that have suggested it. Could help those of you going to 120 farming/200m farming experience in the future. Requires completion of The Light Within - removes one chance of dying from disease. 

Magic Secateurs

These are obtained through Fairy Tale Part I - Growing Pains. If lost you can pay 40k to retrieve them again by talking to Malignius Mortifier. Gives 10% extra experience when farming from certain patches. 

Super Compost

Throughout this guide - I will not be mentioning payment methods. I say this because it's a waste of money - especially on high tier trees. You should only be using payments if you have that stuff in the bank already and want to spare it. However even then I suggest selling it to buy more seeds. Super Compost is a cheap alternative. If you're an Iron Man - Super Compost is made by adding Pineapples to compost bins. Super Compost reduces the dying rate of patches to 14%. Alternatively you can use the Lunar Spellbook spell Fertile Soil. (Requires 83 Magic - and is an Elite Task in Seers) 

Recommended Quests

Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains
Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen
Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift
Plague's End
The Light Within
My Arm's Big Adventure
Mourning's End Part I 
The Prisoner of Glouphrie 

Tree Runs

Tree runs are the most common of runs - you will be doing these twice daily. One of which will include your calquat tree and your Fruit Trees. The type of trees you can grow and at what levels and growth times are listed below! 

Fruit Trees

All Fruit Trees take 16 hours to grow. However - do these based off a 24 hour growtime. (You can get your Calquat done at the same time - which takes 21 hours) These are based purely on checking the health - so you will receive slightly more experience. 

Patch Locations:

Gnome Stronghold – by Agility Course

East of Catherby
West of Tree Gnome Village
North of Brimhaven
Lletya
Herblore Habitat

Priff

Level 27 - Apple Tree - 1,199.5 EXP
Level 33 - Banana Tree - 1750.5 EXP
Level 39 - Orange Tree - 2470 EXP
Level 42 - Curry Tree - 2907 EXP
Level 51 - Pineapple Plant - 4605.7 EXP
Level 57 - Papaya Tree - 6146.4 EXP
Level 68 - Palm Tree - 10150.1

Trees

Trees are slightly different to Fruit Trees. I previously mentioned that you’ll be doing tree runs twice daily. However, I recommend doing that from Yews and above, from Oaks-Maples I suggest doing them as frequently as possible – to get those earlier levels quicker! Times differ so I will be mentioning the times they take to grow. Once again – Experience rates are for checking health only not planting. You do have the ability to cut logs if you want some Woodcutting experience or reduce the loss – but it’s purely up to you.

Patch Locations:
Lumbridge – By Combat Academy
Varrock Castle
Falador Park
Taverley
Gnome Stronghold

Priff

Level 15 – Oak Tree – 160 Minutes – 467.3 EXP
Level 30 – Willow Tree – 240 Minutes – 1456.5 EXP
Level 45 – Maple Tree – 280 Minutes – 3403.4 EXP
Level 60 – Yew Tree – 360 Minutes – 7069.9 EXP
Level 75 – Magic Tree – 440 Minutes – 13768.3 EXP

Calquat
There is only one Calquat patch. This is located by the Karamja lodestone. It is beneficial to do this – as the seeds only cost 7-9k per seed (depending on the RS Economy) They also buy quickly.
Level 72 – Calquat – 21.5 Hours – 12096 EXP

Allotments
You’ll be starting off with allotments. I recommend keeping doing them all the way until 99 – but just don’t check them regularly. Just do them if they’re finished when doing herb runs – as allotments are in the same location as Herb Patches and Plant patches. Won’t really matter what allotments you choose as you power through the lower levels with trees/fruit trees. Once you unlock Watermelons I suggest sticking with those until you unlock Snape Grass. Again – it’s your choice! I won’t be going into the experience with these – it’s not much but when built up – it helps.
Patch Locations:
Between Draynor and Falador (Look for the Chicken farm – it’s behind the farm)
Canifis
Catherby
Ardougne (Again it’s behind a farm)

Level 1 – Potatoes
Level 5 – Onions
Level 7 – Cabbages
Level 12 – Tomatoes
Level 20 – Sweetcorn
Level 31 – Strawberry
Level 47 – Watermelon
Level 80 – Snape Grass
Level 87 – Sunchoke Seed
Level 93 – Fly Trap Seed

Flowers

Flowers can be a decent way to make a good amount of money at low farming levels. Please note: Flower patches are in the same areas as mentioned by allotments so I’m not mentioning where to find the patches. Plant whatever’s best for you. I’m still sticking with Limpwurt roots at 91 farming. I will again just be mentioning levels of availability like allotments.

Level 2 – Marigold
Level 11 – Rosemary
Level 24 – Nasturtium
Level 25 – Woad
Level 26 – Limpwurt
Level 52 – White Lily Seed
Level 88 – Butterfly Flower Seed  

Herbs

Herbs are one of the most common ways to make profit and decent experience at the same time. Herb patches are found in the same place as allotment and flower patches. All experience rates are per herb harvested. You should expect to harvest an average of five herbs each plant.
Level 9 – Guam – 12.5 EXP
Level 14 – Marrentill – 15 EXP
Level 19 – Tarromin – 18 EXP
Level 26 – Harralander – 24 EXP
Level 32 – Ranarr – 30.5 EXP
Level 36 – Spirit Weed – 36 EXP
Level 38 – Toadflax – 38 EXP
Level 44 – Irit – 49 EXP
Level 46 – Wergali – 52.8 EXP
Level 50 – Avantoe – 61.5 EXP
Level 56 – Kwuarm – 82 EXP
Level 57 – Bloodweed – 81.4 EXP
Level 62 – Snapdragon – 99 EXP
Level 67 – Candantine – 120 EXP
Level 73 – Lantadyme Seed – 151.5 EXP
Level 79 – Dwarf Weed – 192 EXP
Level 85 – Torstol – 224.5 EXP
Level 91 – Fellstalk – 315.6 EXP
Bushes
Bushes are another way to make decent experience quickly.

Patch Locations:
West of Champions Guild
Rimmington
South of Ardounge (By the Monastery)
South-West of Etceteria
Priff

Level 10 – Redberry
Level 22 – Cadavaberry
Level 36 – Dwellberry
Level 48 – Jangerberry
Level 59 – Whiteberry
Level 70 – Poision Ivy
Level 77 – Barberry
Level 96 – Wishing Well Bush

Hops

Hops is something I really recommend from 78 onwards using reeds – while you may have to pay a tad above GE price to obtain seeds they’re a great way to make money – earning 300k-600k+ per run.
Hop Patch Locations:

North of Lumbridge Farm
By McGrubor’s Wood
Yanille
Entrana

Level 3 – Barley
Level 4 – Hammerstone
Level 8 – Asgarnian
Level 13 – Jute
Level 16 – Yanillian
Level 21 – Krandorian
Level 28 – Wildblood
Level 78 – Reed
Level 95 – Grapevine

Helpful Links

I’d suggest starting with this – it has a lot of information about the ins and outs of Farming - http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Farming 
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Farming_training
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Farming/Patch_locations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCxt-ryUtTI&t=1443s
[Image: user1-dark.png]
Great overview of the farming skill, Ben! I fully agree about payments. I think I used to make them but have since stopped.
(2017-05-30 04:16:46)Jerome Wrote:  Great overview of the farming skill, Ben! I fully agree about payments. I think I used to make them but have since stopped.

Thanks Jerome! Yeah I stopped doing payments around 60 farming! Best decision I've made when it's come to farming.
[Image: user1-dark.png]
I did payments the entire time to 99 and in total costed over 35m and with herbs i sold i only made 63m so my profit was less than it could have been

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide Archaeology Guide Aurorae Auri 25 24,369 2021-08-17 21:58:22
Last Post: Aurorae Auri
  Fast SC Guide - Events & Stealing Creation Info Lady Spyra 3 3,068 2020-12-11 01:34:17
  The Arc Guide! Kermen 9 7,716 2020-09-02 03:52:27
Last Post: Kermen
  Guide Completionist Guide Aurorae Auri 10 10,418 2020-04-13 15:45:11
  Guide In Depth MQC Level and Quest Requirements Aurorae Auri 1 2,395 2020-02-16 01:29:47