[Guide] Clifford's guide to computer security and maintenance.

Hello all! I am making this thread to see if in any way you can take any information from this and learn. In here I will include the information on the following:

1.1 Anti-spyware (Click to View)

2.1 Anti-Virus (Click to View)

3.1 Firewall (Click to View)

4.1 Maintenance Program (Click to View)

I have not just randomly started using these programs, I have been using each and every one of them for years and have tested them against other ones and I am very pleased with them. All the programs I will be giving links to and explaining/showing how to install will all be free, however if you want aswell I will also provide a way to tip-toe around that thing line or legality Wink

The guides I have made lean more to the beginner as I've even made a guide on how to install them, however even for advanced computer users, these programs are worth checking out smile

[Image: whid1.gif]
Great well thought out guide Cliff! Thanks! +1
[Image: 13847_s.png]
(2011-07-16 01:53:30)S15 Wrote:  Great well thought out guide Cliff! Thanks! +1

Thanks buddy, means a lot, you just got me onto my fourth bar too on the rep meter too <33
AVG is my choice too for the anti-virus.
On the other hand, I hate ZonaAlarm as hell. Family had so many problems with it so I don't recommand it anymore. But hey, if it works for you... Tongue

The other two programs you suggest seems ok for me. Not much to say about'em.

Like, a minimum for me on a computer is AVG free. Stay away from any Norton or McAfee shit =.= And don't use Internet Explorer. Get any other browser like Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari...
Main: Princess Emiko Yuki
Alt: Princess Revy Chan

(2011-07-16 02:06:47)Mikuri Wrote:  AVG is my choice too for the anti-virus.
On the other hand, I hate ZonaAlarm as hell. Family had so many problems with it so I don't recommand it anymore. But hey, if it works for you... Tongue

The other two programs you suggest seems ok for me. Not much to say about'em.

Like, a minimum for me on a computer is AVG free. Stay away from any Norton or McAfee shit =.= And don't use Internet Explorer. Get any other browser like Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari...

Sucks that you've had issues with zone alarm man, but I suppose we all have issues with different things Tongue

I agree man, mcaf and norton are so useless. Also they don't just never want to get uninstalled xD

Great guide, Cliff!

Yeah, I agree that Norton and McAfee are crap. We used to use ZoneAlarm on our laptops at work, but they kept pestering our users with pop ups about upgrading and blocking certain files, even though we kept allowing those files to go through it just fine. So we removed it from all laptops and now use Microsoft Security Essentials on them instead. Even though it's Microsoft, it's still actually a decent program and catches mostly everything that infects a computer.

Webroot is another good anti-virus program to use. I do like AVG, but I've stopped using it and have been trying others out. It did work great while I had it, though. I have Microsoft Security Essentials on my home computer now, just like what we use at work.

Was really shocked not to see MalwareBytes Anti-Malware listed here. That is my #1 favorite program for this kind of stuff. I mean, it doesn't have real-time protection, but when you get infected it sure is a jewel to have. Same with ComboFix. Never had a computer that couldn't be fixed with the combination of those programs. But you are probably just giving people programs to use for real-time protection, so MalwareBytes and ComboFix wouldn't really fall into that category anyway.

Again, great guide! Will help out many people, I'm sure. ^_^
(2011-07-16 04:30:20)Agent Shay Wrote:  Great guide, Cliff!

Yeah, I agree that Norton and McAfee are crap. We used to use ZoneAlarm on our laptops at work, but they kept pestering our users with pop ups about upgrading and blocking certain files, even though we kept allowing those files to go through it just fine. So we removed it from all laptops and now use Microsoft Security Essentials on them instead. Even though it's Microsoft, it's still actually a decent program and catches mostly everything that infects a computer.

Webroot is another good anti-virus program to use. I do like AVG, but I've stopped using it and have been trying others out. It did work great while I had it, though. I have Microsoft Security Essentials on my home computer now, just like what we use at work.

Was really shocked not to see MalwareBytes Anti-Malware listed here. That is my #1 favorite program for this kind of stuff. I mean, it doesn't have real-time protection, but when you get infected it sure is a jewel to have. Same with ComboFix. Never had a computer that couldn't be fixed with the combination of those programs. But you are probably just giving people programs to use for real-time protection, so MalwareBytes and ComboFix wouldn't really fall into that category anyway.

Again, great guide! Will help out many people, I'm sure. ^_^

Also I've never heard of the program Tongue I think when we're doing this, although the programs are on the net, some mainly cater to advertisement for america so I don't even hear of them Tongue But thanks for the great suggestions too ^_^ I'm glad people are giving their two cents cos at the end of the day it all keeps our members safe ^_^

I personally didn't like AVG, it struggled to detect anything. I switched to avast and started finding virus's, pretty happy with it.
[Image: Exbajalator.png][Image: Exbajalator.png]
[Image: 2q00m8h.jpg]
[Image: nMqpp.png]
=:-:=  Live Young, Have Fun And May Tomorrow Never Come =:-:=
(2011-07-16 16:47:45)Exbajalator Wrote:  I personally didn't like AVG, it struggled to detect anything. I switched to avast and started finding virus's, pretty happy with it.

Sounds as if you hated AVG to write a good thing really Tongue AVG does the job and always detects things for me. Never used avast so can't pass judgement on it, but AVG it's half as bad as you make it out to be Tongue

However I will try avast for a few weeks to give it a go ^_^ no harm in doing so
I switched from AVG to Avast a few months ago. I like it tons better.
You might try the program CCleaner too. I assume it's similar to Tune-Up.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
I had a dream I was king. I woke up, still king.
[Image: sigforkiller.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide Archaeology Guide Aurorae Auri 25 25,013 2021-08-17 21:58:22
Last Post: Aurorae Auri
  Fast SC Guide - Events & Stealing Creation Info Lady Spyra 3 3,198 2020-12-11 01:34:17
  The Arc Guide! Kermen 9 7,985 2020-09-02 03:52:27
Last Post: Kermen
  Guide Completionist Guide Aurorae Auri 10 10,776 2020-04-13 15:45:11
  Guide Level 3 to Quest Cape - Quest Order Guide Aurorae Auri 6 9,175 2020-01-31 02:30:59
Last Post: RinToyama31