The Light Bulb Conspiracy
Thread Closed 

Quote:The light bulb conspiracy is a theory that the leading manufacturers of incandescent light bulbs have conspired to keep the lifetime of their bulbs far below their real technological capabilities. This way, they ensure the continuous demand for more bulbs and hence, long-term profit for themselves.

I saw this documentary on The Light Bulb Conspiracy the other day and it got me thinking. Many computer games such as Call of Duty and Battlefield have always released games after games, to help boosted their profits. I looked in to this more and more. With new graphic components and new programs, this is effecting the trends of the consumer market, which allows Activision and such other companies to continuously produce games year after year.

Now, I tried to apply this to Runescape and Jagex. Every week they have released new content to help boosted the game and add more content to it, but it doesn't make really more profitable as they aren't selling a new game.

However, with all the botting and real lack of effort that Jagex has put into to solving the problem, it got me thinking that it's away to push the players to their new game that they are releasing. Whether it's the Transformers or Stellar Dawn (I doubt that they stop producing this).

So do you think that The Light Bulb Conspiracy really applies to Runescape?
No, I think you pointed some interesting things out but the only true really successful game JaGeX has produced is RuneScape. All their other games had many little or no profit. I think they are afraid that they will have loss of revenue and do not want to solve some of these problems because of the economic downturn.

Thats kinda what i just thought up right now so I'll probably think something different or support it more when I learn more about the subject.

Sincerely,

Shane.

P.S. Have a Great Day smile

Unless Stellar dawn or this Transformers game are really good and get people to pay more than they charge for Runescape, it really makes no sense for them to push people away from Runescape. It wouldn't gain them any real profit.
[Image: evaluate-staff.png] 
Have a question? My PM is always ON.
Interesting but if this IS their reason they are going at it all wrong, just like with the updates.

In updates, instead of wasting time on one's purely to make money; like the 'refer a friend'. They should spend that time improving RS it's self so that people automatically go 'OMG! You NEED to play this game.' to their friends.

As for their new games, they should make it so it's so awesome that people want to play.. not make RS suck just so people will play their slightly better game. Because right now online gaming is HUGE. So many companies so many games.

I feel like at this point Jagex is just saying 'Eff it'. There was a rumor that they were updating frequently because at some point they're going to stop for a long period of time but they should go out with a bang not a flop.
| G&A | PVP Team |
[Image: guitar_girl_by_nmayfair-d3ailti.png]
Gift; Nik
A timely question in my opinion.

Jagex just sent me an invite to subscribe for 3 months at the one time and receive a 15% discount...

I get a whole $1.00-something saving if I do! Good
Quote:
What is the point of being an adult , if you can't be childish sometimes.
--Tom Baker as The Fourth Doctor

(2011-08-25 08:00:49)old_jon Wrote:  A timely question in my opinion.

Jagex just sent me an invite to subscribe for 3 months at the one time and receive a 15% discount...

I get a whole $1.00-something saving if I do! Good

It's all on the homepage.
JaGex try and make money off of FunOrb at the minute for the wider range of games but RS is too much for them to lose out on, they want to rake in the money when they can.
I don't see how it can apply to RuneScape no, in the future it may do as you've said. When the new games that JaGex are working on get released they may create some sort of update to RuneScape that would see more players either getting membership or coming back to RuneScape. I don't know how they could do this or if they would want to, but it could happen.
[Image: AaXEhqE.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Update] The Light Within Quest Nick 3 3,769 2015-08-24 21:07:55
Last Post: Shawn
  Awesome Zaros Conspiracy Theory Gohankuten 1 2,363 2013-08-09 00:45:14
Last Post: AlchemyHawk