Poll: What do you think of May's updates?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
5 - Love It!
2 20.00%
4 - Excited
5 50.00%
3 - Meh
1 10.00%
2 - Could Be Better
0 0%
1 - Waste of Time
1 10.00%
0 - Hate It
0 0%
N/A - None of it effects my gameplay
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Behind The Scenes - May
Thread Closed 

Some really awesome, long awaited stuff this month. We see our first new quest since february, and continuing the "2012 Big Updates" theme we have a new boss which has been long awaited, and we should see the Kalphite King released sometime this year as well. Theres also an update to the firemaking skill that now introduces bonfires, so theres no need to make huge long lines of fires around banks. And last but not least, jagex are also piling on the band wagon to celebrate the queens 60th year in reign. King2

Oh and lets not forget the monthly money making scheme. An extra daily spin on the SoF for members, some bonus xp dubbed "Wild Weekends" and 5k extra loyalty points.

May Madness!

May is a great time to be a member, and anyone subscribed for the entirety of May (the 1st to the 31st inclusive) will be rewarded with 250k’s worth of double XP boosts and 5k extra Loyalty Points on the 1st of June. What’s more, even if you’re only a member for part of the month, you’ll still be able to take part in a range of 'Wild Weekends' with XP benefits, drop increases and some truly mad monkey-themed mayhem. You’ll also have an extra spin to use on each day that you're subscribed over the course of the month. We’re even planning something fun with Yelps and his Squeal of Fortune to complete the chaos. Make sure you check the news every week to see what’s coming up. They truly shouldn’t be missed.

Bonfires (Free and Members' Update)

Long lines of fires are one of the strangest phenomena you can run into when traversing the world of RuneScape, but they have remained the easiest way of training your Firemaking skill for years. That is about to change this month, as we introduce bonfires to the game. After making yourself a fire you'll be able to add more logs directly to that fire, potentially finding strange spirits who’ll give you small rewards for freeing them from their wooden prisons. Invite other players to add logs to your fire and everyone contributing will gain bonuses to their Firemaking XP gain, and hopefully make a few new friends in the process; the entire activity is far less click-heavy than old-school Firemaking, leaving you plenty of time to chat. Those of you with a burning desire to find other flamingly useful things to do with fires will find boosts to Cooking XP, and even gain health bonuses depending on your Firemaking levels and log types used.

Song from the Depths (Members-only Quest)

The villagers of Rimmington have been falling afoul of what seems to be a strange spell: one so potent that several of them have been asleep for days, even weeks, seemingly sharing a powerful dream. Local physicians are stumped as to why, and they need a new hero to solve the mystery. The Raptor - an enigmatic figure whose involvement scares many as much as the sleeping curse itself – has gone ahead of you, and the families of the sleeping men are relying on you to rescue their loved ones intact!

In this brand new quest, available to all members and with no entry requirements, you’ll be able to gain access to a new upgradable crossbow and several hidden XP rewards while trying to free the innocents from the grip of this most crippling condition. Very high-level players will also appreciate the final reward: a passive damage-reduction buff, active during one of the most highly anticipated boss fights of all time…

The Queen Black Dragon (Members-only Epic Boss Fight)

Sometimes it’s best to just run away and thank your lucky stars that you’re still alive and kicking. For those crazy enough not to heed the warnings scattered all around the known world, there’s a real beast of a challenge waiting for you. And it’s big. Really big. In fact, you could fit 5 King Black Dragons in the mouth of this mother of all dragons! The kin won’t be far away either, so be aware that your actions will be watched...and noted for future retribution.

This new boss fight is aimed squarely at mighty combatants with a combat level of at least 120 - higher, if you intend to survive. It's also designed as a solo fight, so no hiding behind your friends as you run screaming from her vicious breath attacks. In the heat of the action you’ll be expected to grasp tactics new to RuneScape, but there are some great rewards for those who do...including the fabled dragon kiteshield, a range of new dragon-orientated gear, and a host of other drops. Dare you scale the heights of one of our greatest challenges yet?

Even if you’re not quite ready to face down the monstrous Queen Black Dragon just yet, there's a brand new dungeon leading down to her lair. It includes training opportunities for a range of combat levels, along with a particularly slimy set of Slayer assignments.

Diamond Jubilee (Free and Members’ Update)

Our final royal visitor this month won’t try to eat you at all. We promise. In fact, we’d like to invite you to join us for a street party! The centre of Varrock will be teeming with new characters and creatures, all of whom are preparing for the arrival of a royal carriage…but not everything is ready! Big Ben and his team of organisers need help to follow a set of Cryptic Clues, leading to a pile of diamond-themed rewards. Stalls will be filled with interesting new stock like fish & chips and corgis, although the latter isn’t for eating. Prepare yourself for an event full of smiles. It's a real royale with cheese.

Have fun!

Mod Mark
@iWader on Twitter.
Looking like a solid month of updates here. Too bad I already have 99 Firemaking and I'm not much of a boss hunter, but everything sounds like a bunch of fun! Looking forward to it!
[Image: evaluate-staff.png] 
Have a question? My PM is always ON.
When you put it all together it sounds like a pretty good month. I've never been a boss hunter, but I'll give the Queen Black Dragon a shot if it's an instanced fight. I don't see any other way they could make it work as a solo boss fight. I'm more interested in the dungeon that's coming with it though, and what sounds like maybe we're getting new slayer monsters.

The firemaking description makes me think maybe high level fires will make better food, or that the food could heal you above max lp or something. I dunno, but it's the first one on the list, so it looks like we'll see soon enough.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones
I am going to go make some dragonbane bolts and hope they work on the QBD. If they don't then I can always use on frost dragons. And I need to go dg to get tokens for a ccb and rigour which should be useful for QBD when ranging.
Master of All Wills and Quests
[Image: gohankuten.png][Image: GohanRAWR.gif]
Can't wait to try out the queen black dragon. I'm thrilled that it's an instanced boss fight and you have to go at it solo. Interested in the quest too.
"Men have called me mad, but the question is not yet settled
whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence whether
all that is profound does not spring from disease of thought
from moods of mind exalted at the expense of general intellect"

[Image: annie_league_of_legends_signature_by_chi...4ylyti.png]

[Image: L7adChF.png]

Wrote this on RSC. Thought everyone needed to see it.

It has to be kind of awkward when it comes time for the KBD and QBD to mate. I mean imagine trying to mate with someone so small that it would take 5 of them to fill your mouth. You would probably actually need 5 KBDs just to get the QBD pregnant, if they dont get lost in her.... ya know.
[Image: zephyr.png][Image: L_Zephyr_l.png]
[Image: R4vciL12942791852-9.gif]
[Image: srEI.png]
"Men have called me mad, but the question is not yet settled
whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence whether
all that is profound does not spring from disease of thought
from moods of mind exalted at the expense of general intellect"

[Image: annie_league_of_legends_signature_by_chi...4ylyti.png]

[Image: L7adChF.png]

Interesting... it being instanced.... I wonder if that means the dragon kite is untradeable?
Is the glass half empty or half full? Neither, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
[Image: EW4yt.gif]
Quote:should see the Kalphite King released sometime this year as well

Bring on Nex's spouse, Mrs Bandos and Mrs Armadyl plox. Grin

Quote:It's a real royale with cheese.

God save the Queen! Good
Quote:
What is the point of being an adult , if you can't be childish sometimes.
--Tom Baker as The Fourth Doctor

So now Runecrafting & Firemaking are getting updated to become afk, firemaking was already fast to begin with, now increased Xp rates will make it even faster. Not really complaining, I just wonder how many click-intensive skills will be left after long.
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  June - Behind the scenes Shawn 6 4,940 2015-06-06 03:35:10
Last Post: Gohankuten
  September Behind the Scenes Downfall 10 9,002 2014-09-01 09:08:00
Last Post: Debs
  Behind the Scenes - March 2014 Gohankuten 2 3,181 2014-03-01 07:39:04
Last Post: Shawn
  Behind the Scenes - February 2014 Gohankuten 8 6,409 2014-02-04 03:51:08
Last Post: Ava
  Behind the Scenes - January 2014 Gohankuten 13 8,695 2014-01-03 06:31:16
Last Post: Bug