Username Availability: A Game of Luck or Strategy?
Thread Closed 

I have been in search of a good username that I would be happy with keeping without changing it a month or two down the line. I have noticed that many people I've associated myself with in the past have had incredible luck finding display names; not one, two, or sometimes even three but up to a hand-full of names. I'm wondering if there is a certain strategy to looking for available display names or is it purely luck? I've got my eye on a few that no longer register on the hi-scores or by adding them to your friends list but still they're unavailable for take.
I would say it's probably a strategic approach that will earn you a better success rate of obtaining names.

There are squillions of registered names with Jagex.

You shouldn't be trying names like Bill or Billy or Mac or Buddy (did you see the Sheryl Crow thing I did there?)

Grin
Quote:
What is the point of being an adult , if you can't be childish sometimes.
--Tom Baker as The Fourth Doctor

(2012-05-28 04:05:45)old_jon Wrote:  I would say it's probably a strategic approach that will earn you a better success rate of obtaining names.

There are squillions of registered names with Jagex.

You shouldn't be trying names like Bill or Billy or Mac or Buddy (did you see the Sheryl Crow thing I did there?)

Grin

I read a brief guide somewhere that I vaguely remember saying that if you add a name to your friends list and it returns a message saying something along the lines of "player not found" that the name would be available for the taking. I have had no such luck though. I found some really good names that are seemingly no longer bound to a player but are still unavailable i.e.; the name "Q".
They do release names periodically that are inactive, but it's only after they've been inactive for so long (and it's a very very long period of time). You pretty much have to get lucky that a name you want opens up, or spend enormous amounts of time searching for a variation of a name that you'd accept as a compromise.

So basically it's all luck.
[Image: evaluate-staff.png] 
Have a question? My PM is always ON.
add said name to your ignore list, when it changes you will see it there, hope that helps
(2011-09-15 08:01:49)Meg Wrote:  dw guys, one day my true intelligence will shine for the world to see and I will bask in full glory of the beautiful smart woman I truly am....until i wake up Biggrin

[Image: bkhaO.png]
(2012-05-28 06:52:26)Zooperman Wrote:  add said name to your ignore list, when it changes you will see it there, hope that helps

I know I used that method to track 'Q" after he changed his name, it expired, and the name is no longer registered to any player as it returns "Unable to add name - Unknown player" but I am still unable to use the name.
Runescript/Faux on the IRC has a command to check if a username is available.

Code:
!name rsn

Think i have an mirc script laying about somewhere that checks names as well.
@iWader on Twitter.
Sorry, I already took the best name. You're all fighting for second now.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones
i think its all luck

just gotta keep checkin the ones you want and hope they open up for taking at some point.

glad i got one i like... well actually.. i have like 4-5 i like and have an account for each one.. I make sure i login every few months to keep them lol.. i know im a jerk :p
[Image: Vf5Ok.png]
[Image: k00kmf.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Name Change Game Mr Tanner 22 12,850 2018-04-16 16:30:14
Last Post: Oxide
  That moment when ur alt has more luck den u ReturnFate 18 11,000 2015-06-07 22:52:41
Last Post: BENFAS
  Petition Against Selling In-game Advantage Col ton 8 6,100 2014-03-23 05:01:40
Last Post: Shawn
  What are you currently doing in-game? (Screenshots ONLY) Blur 88 42,460 2014-03-07 13:41:22
Last Post: Blur
  Runescape - Game Update - Demon Flash Mobs ScapeSkill 4 4,082 2013-01-29 18:48:00
Last Post: ScapeSkill