Progress

Hey Surreal,

I'd like to start by showing you our mission statement, one that you may have read, but just sit there and remind yourself of the content in here:

Quote:Surreal will forever make sure that members' voices are heard just as much as those behind the scenes - a community and a supportive atmosphere, free of charge, that assists through Runescape and makes it more interesting through events and other functions such as skilling weeks.

We intend to make this clan as resourceful, accessible and enjoyable as we can possibly deliver. Surreal will prove to be a place where Skillers can advance their levels and be supported throughout their Runescape adventures by a wonderful community of friends.

It hasn't changed since 2010. When the word 'we' is used in that mission statement, we're not referring to just staff. Because staff alone in a clan is not a clan. We're referring to the core ingredient, you (no, you're not part of a stew and we're not going to cook you).

We at Surreal value your time and just simply want to make you enjoy a game called RuneScape. That's why we're here. To build a familiar family where you can just hop on and enjoy, no worries. People that succeed to bring this mission to life in Surreal are those who are dedicated, passionate, friendly, courteous and fair. Those are promoters, then there are detractors; things like drama, lies, politics and entitlement.

Again reiterating from that mission statement, we are a group. We are a team. We are all in this for one goal and that's to improve the gameplay for each and every one of your clan mates. It is not up to the staff to create a community, that is why you're here! You are the most powerful part of Surreal - not us. We just do the background work to ensure everything's running smoothly.

I've been around here consistently for four years and I'm able to note changes in attitude and culture better than anyone else. There's been an increase in entitlement, (you owe me this because), and a decrease in involvement (I want to contribute to this because I believe in the cause). In a sense you should be entitled to see the great things this clan can achieve, but you must be a part of it. We build together, and if there are those in the clan that would rather watch the walls burn down than create something awesome, then I won't be sad to see you go.

If you have any problems in the clan, do your bit, which is to leave feedback in the open forums for us to gather and act upon. Let your voice be heard, and don't be afraid to do something. Make this clan one to remember because you've contributed to it. Surreal is not room service, it is a clan, we're a team and a family and we'll get through anything in our way because of that fact. If you want to volunteer to do something, don't be scared! The more people we have building this clan up, the better we will be for our own sake.

If you want to push this clan to new heights, put it on your shoulders like we as staff are, and let's see where it takes us. Don't lose the community attitude we have worked so hard to build together. Let's make it better than anyone's seen. Surreal forever.
You are no better than anyone else, and no one is better than you.
Agreed. The only way for any community to progress and to advance is by teamwork and collaborative thinking. No one can create a town by themselves and no one can rule a kingdom on their own - it takes a group. What I like about Surreal is that EVERYONE has a say and can voice their opinions freely, while still respecting each others' ideas in a calm and sociable environment.

People come and go, things come and fade, but the overall atmosphere will remain and those that are involved will stay involved. It will be easy to spot those who are just riding along, which isn't a bad thing, but those who aim to grow and enhance upon their experiences and help others will shine out as ones who really see a future in the clan and its well-being.

Everyone contributes in their own way, and I really believe that nothing will bring this clan down one bit. From what I've seen and done so far in this clan, I couldn't imagine being in another.
Cormag is a very calm and aloof man, although he can become furious at times. He compares himself to a wyvern in this aspect. He is a very skilled fighter, but dislikes war. He has great pride in his country of Grado, despite their many atrocities committed.

Find out about the number 46! Homeworld since 2009!

Click and Follow My Journey to -> Max Cape <-

[Image: 7WiM6jg.png]
Paladin ALL HAIL THE FEARLESS LEADER! Paladin

Thank you, Jordan, for reminding us all why we're a part of this clan. It's been tumultuous lately, but I know we'll pull through this.

Surreal <3
Great post Jordan. This post is really necessary as we should all be reminded what this clan is all about and that's that each member makes up Surreal to be the clan that it is. I'm totally guilty of the thought that the event team should be responsible to create events which there has been a lack of. I'm also guilty, however, of thinking that I should step up. The only thing that really stops me is the fact that I lack a rank. Thank you for making this post to reaffirm that we're all part of this community and therefore can contribute to it's well being.
(2014-06-24 03:41:34)Jerome Wrote:  Great post Jordan. This post is really necessary as we should all be reminded what this clan is all about and that's that each member makes up Surreal to be the clan that it is. I'm totally guilty of the thought that the event team should be responsible to create events which there has been a lack of. I'm also guilty, however, of thinking that I should step up. The only thing that really stops me is the fact that I lack a rank. Thank you for making this post to reaffirm that we're all part of this community and therefore can contribute to it's well being.

We have had lack of events, yes, which we're working on fixing. I'm not sure who's interested in Events Team because the last time I ran applications for it, two people applied Sad

But I'm more than happy to open events hosting to any member. 100 percent for that idea, I've run it before but it never really took off unfortunately.
(2014-06-24 03:46:56)Downfall Wrote:  
(2014-06-24 03:41:34)Jerome Wrote:  Great post Jordan. This post is really necessary as we should all be reminded what this clan is all about and that's that each member makes up Surreal to be the clan that it is. I'm totally guilty of the thought that the event team should be responsible to create events which there has been a lack of. I'm also guilty, however, of thinking that I should step up. The only thing that really stops me is the fact that I lack a rank. Thank you for making this post to reaffirm that we're all part of this community and therefore can contribute to it's well being.

We have had lack of events, yes, which we're working on fixing. I'm not sure who's interested in Events Team because the last time I ran applications for it, two people applied Sad

But I'm more than happy to open events hosting to any member. 100 percent for that idea, I've run it before but it never really took off unfortunately.

Letting members host events is a good idea as it empowers them to take action. Unfortunately I can see why it wouldn't take off as there may not be any that wants to take initiative. Whatever the reason for lack of events, maybe it's better to work with the team we have. If IRL reasons are the main cause then an incentive to become an active events team member may be a solution to motivate people to create events. For example, extra points for hosting an event?
(2014-06-24 04:00:23)Jerome Wrote:  
(2014-06-24 03:46:56)Downfall Wrote:  

Letting members host events is a good idea as it empowers them to take action. Unfortunately I can see why it wouldn't take off as there may not be any that wants to take initiative. Whatever the reason for lack of events, maybe it's better to work with the team we have. If IRL reasons are the main cause then an incentive to become an active events team member may be a solution to motivate people to create events. For example, extra points for hosting an event?

We've done exact that in the past. Given points to members for hosting their own events. Didn't take off. It's an attitude thing. In fact, this event hosting facility is still up right now in the senior members forum (lots of the clan has access to this)

[Image: 55dcfb9ff4.png]

Still nada. Tongue "30 Apr 2012, 03:57" Sure there's gotta be a way to make it work though, right? Tongue
I would definitely be interested in hosting events, especially after reading that! Biggrin
Cormag is a very calm and aloof man, although he can become furious at times. He compares himself to a wyvern in this aspect. He is a very skilled fighter, but dislikes war. He has great pride in his country of Grado, despite their many atrocities committed.

Find out about the number 46! Homeworld since 2009!

Click and Follow My Journey to -> Max Cape <-

[Image: 7WiM6jg.png]
This is brilliant. This is definitely one regard that I feel Surreal excels at; if there is something that part of the community feels is worth implementing the leadership always take it into consideration and are really willing to look at it from every aspect. It just takes that member to bring forth the idea for review.

Everyone has their own reasoning and justification for going to Surreal and thinking, "Yes, I think this clan would suit me." I think I can speak for everyone when I say that the community is by and large what makes Surreal so special, which is the focus we try and maintain. However, if you have other motivations, and you were expecting something that ends up not being present, all you have to do is bring it forward! Everyone has their own motivation for even joining a clan to begin with. Unless people voice what that is, there is no way that idea can be brought to life in Surreal.

The community will always be there, and for some people that's all they want from a clan. If you're wanting something else though, your course of action should not be looking elsewhere, it should be to see what you can do to bring that aspect or idea and combine it with the wonderful family here with Surreal.

I thank the team for everything that they do, I have been nothing but impressed with how this clan is run thus far, and I look forward to seeing it adapt and grow during my stay here.
(2014-06-24 10:49:37)Hayden Wrote:  This is brilliant. This is definitely one regard that I feel Surreal excels at; if there is something that part of the community feels is worth implementing the leadership always take it into consideration and are really willing to look at it from every aspect. It just takes that member to bring forth the idea for review.

Everyone has their own reasoning and justification for going to Surreal and thinking, "Yes, I think this clan would suit me." I think I can speak for everyone when I say that the community is by and large what makes Surreal so special, which is the focus we try and maintain. However, if you have other motivations, and you were expecting something that ends up not being present, all you have to do is bring it forward! Everyone has their own motivation for even joining a clan to begin with. Unless people voice what that is, there is no way that idea can be brought to life in Surreal.

The community will always be there, and for some people that's all they want from a clan. If you're wanting something else though, your course of action should not be looking elsewhere, it should be to see what you can do to bring that aspect or idea and combine it with the wonderful family here with Surreal.

I thank the team for everything that they do, I have been nothing but impressed with how this clan is run thus far, and I look forward to seeing it adapt and grow during my stay here.

If I could like this three times, I would. Tongue