Poll: What do you think of May's updates?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
5 - Love It!
2 20.00%
4 - Excited
5 50.00%
3 - Meh
1 10.00%
2 - Could Be Better
0 0%
1 - Waste of Time
1 10.00%
0 - Hate It
0 0%
N/A - None of it effects my gameplay
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Behind The Scenes - May
Thread Closed 

(2012-05-02 00:39:20)AlchemyHawk Wrote:  So now Runecrafting & Firemaking are getting updated to become afk, firemaking was already fast to begin with, now increased Xp rates will make it even faster. Not really complaining, I just wonder how many click-intensive skills will be left after long.

It doesn't say that it will be the fastest in the game, and probably not. Unless of course Jagex is following the route they've taken of eliminating the 1 click = xp they've developed over the years.
1/99 RuneCrafting
[Image: Ez9Z]
[Image: F8Cs]
[Image: Gtmt]
We must strive to reach the simplicity that lies beyond sophistication.
[Image: SKPQd.gif]
Well yes, generally all click-intensive ways are still faster.
Arctic Pines are faster than Ivy, powermining LRC is faster than banking, barb fishing or c2 fishing is faster than rocktails (auras excluded) and so on. Following this chain of thought, I would assume the pyrelord POH method will be faster than bonfires, but I still believe bonfires will be faster than regular firemaking and the generally used method of scapers.
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

There's a fair bit of talk about "AFK" amongst us and I am concerned that you may be reported or "detected by Jagex".

Q&A:Customer Support's Answers
Quote:Mattonline asks: Afk training is becoming a massive problem, and after having a disucssion in game with some players, many think that it is ok, since you don't stop them from doing it. My questions is, will you try to put a stop to AFK training.

Mod Murray: AFK (away from keyboard) training is as much a breach of our rules as Macroing. Both methods of training allow a player to increase their levels in a way that they would not be able to do themselves and that provides them with an unfair advantage.

Mod Murray's answer creates confusion for me. How is watching TV, browsing another website, chatting to someone (outside of the runescape facility) constitute "increase their levels in a way that they would not be able to themselves"?

I could understand a response that suggests an AFK person is not contributing to the runescape community whilst playing, but not this ideal that watching TV is like someone else helping you. Maybe the someone else (the people in the TV show) is helping you by alleviating boredom. I don't know.

Have I got the notion of AFK wrong?

In any case AFK, whatever it means, is not tolerated.
Quote:
What is the point of being an adult , if you can't be childish sometimes.
--Tom Baker as The Fourth Doctor

(2012-05-02 04:05:39)old_jon Wrote:  There's a fair bit of talk about "AFK" amongst us and I am concerned that you may be reported or "detected by Jagex".

Quote:Mattonline asks: Afk training is becoming a massive problem, and after having a disucssion in game with some players, many think that it is ok, since you don't stop them from doing it. My questions is, will you try to put a stop to AFK training.

Mod Murray: AFK (away from keyboard) training is as much a breach of our rules as Macroing. Both methods of training allow a player to increase their levels in a way that they would not be able to do themselves and that provides them with an unfair advantage.

Mod Murray's answer creates confusion for me. How is watching TV, browsing another website, chatting to someone (outside of the runescape facility) constitute "increase their levels in a way that they would not be able to themselves"?

I could understand a response that suggests an AFK person is not contributing to the runescape community whilst playing, but not this ideal that watching TV is like someone else helping you. Maybe the someone else (the people in the TV show) is helping you by alleviating boredom. I don't know.

The thing is AFK as in away from keyboard where you train without controlling your character at all which means you didn't increase your yourself. What you described is NPA(not paying attention) training where you are still controlling your character yourself but at the same time you are looking at other stuff so not really focused on the game. I always NPA train since I play on my laptop so always sit in a spot where I can watch TV while I am on RS and I have multiple windows open on my laptop and look around when doing something that doesn't require my full attention. You gotta learn the difference between AFK and NPA. Jagex don't mind NPA since you are still at your computer and manually controlling your character. In fact if I remember right in the rules it actually states that NPA training is fine they just want to make sure you stay at the computer.
Master of All Wills and Quests
[Image: gohankuten.png][Image: GohanRAWR.gif]
(2012-05-02 04:05:39)old_jon Wrote:  There's a fair bit of talk about "AFK" amongst us and I am concerned that you may be reported or "detected by Jagex".

In the literal sense, AFK means away from keyboard, but it's hard to say what he means by it because it's sort of been expanded at times to include stuff like watching tv and browsing the web.

I think what he's really saying is that they don't want you leaving the room for a minute while your character is fletching or whatever. But to suggest that they're breaking the rules if they don't comply is absurd.

If they don't like AFK training, they can reduce it by making it more worthwhile by making it more rewarding to pay attention to what you're doing. And I think they do a pretty good job of that already. There are a lot of tactics like flashing prayers and buying spins that give the active player an advantage over people who are just stitting there watching their guy go to work.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones
These skills might be considered "afk" in the sense that you aren't paying much attention(what I think the majority of people mean when they say they're afking) - but in all honesty you still have to pay somewhat attention for when said skill plots(ivy,gold\coal deposits,fishing spots, and wraiths\nodes) all disappear so it's not even really that bad.
"Men have called me mad, but the question is not yet settled
whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence whether
all that is profound does not spring from disease of thought
from moods of mind exalted at the expense of general intellect"

[Image: annie_league_of_legends_signature_by_chi...4ylyti.png]

[Image: L7adChF.png]

(2012-05-02 05:38:43)Jay Wrote:  considered "afk" in the sense that you aren't paying much attention(what I think the majority of people mean when they say they're afking)

Hence why I say I NPA train. Since I am always at my keyboard I never AFK train.
Master of All Wills and Quests
[Image: gohankuten.png][Image: GohanRAWR.gif]
Looking forward to the updates this month! In particular the QBD, and the new quest seem most appealing.
Adventurer's Log | Exp Tracker | Goals & Achievements
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Nothing I'm really interested in, cba reading all of it cuz I'm a busy guy lol

Sounds like a lot of member recruiting though hahah

and my own two cents... I hope they make every skill in a way that I can just sit here and watch tv instead of having to constantly watch my computer screen lol
[Image: Vf5Ok.png]
[Image: k00kmf.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  June - Behind the scenes Shawn 6 4,950 2015-06-06 03:35:10
Last Post: Gohankuten
  September Behind the Scenes Downfall 10 9,005 2014-09-01 09:08:00
Last Post: Debs
  Behind the Scenes - March 2014 Gohankuten 2 3,187 2014-03-01 07:39:04
Last Post: Shawn
  Behind the Scenes - February 2014 Gohankuten 8 6,413 2014-02-04 03:51:08
Last Post: Ava