RSOF beta info
Thread Closed 

This thread on the RSOF contains a whole bunch of info gathered from various Jagex sources about the combat beta. It's been there for some time but it may be new to some of you who don't pay attention to those forums.

Here are a few quotes I found interesting:

Quote:Surgebox changes (REMOVE RUNES FROM SURGEBOXES!)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Surge and Blast boxes have been removed, as they weren't really any use once the new lower rune costs were implemented. Anyone who has purchased the boxes will be given a refund when they log in after the update makes it to the live servers.

The boxes that you can buy from the reward shop have been removed and their token cost will be refunded to players who had purchased them.

Inside dungeoneering, the boxes still exist, but you don't charge them up anymore. They provide unlimited air runes when equipped in your off-hand slot, so you can cast the air spells for free without having to lose time crafting air runes at the start of a dungeon.

When the boxes are deleted and the refunds given the runes will not be refunded currently (this may change if I get the time to do it, but its low on my list of tasks). I would recommend taking the runes out of your boxes just to be safe. The update that deletes the boxes won't be until the combat rework goes to the live servers in several months time though.

Quote:Release Date
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
The initial plan was September, however if we find things need more time to polish based on the Beta feedback, then we will extend the Beta period as long as we need to.

Quote:Slayer - training/speed
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
From our initial testing, slaying will be faster in the new combat system, but we will be adjusting the slayer XP given per monster to try and bring it in line with the live game XP rates.

Quote:2-handed crossbows
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Just call my name, and I'll be there...

Ahem, but yes, the image you are talking about does feature a two-handed crossbow! These are new items we are adding to the game in the combat rework. The crossbows you have in the live game at the moment will remain one-handed weapons.

You will smith/fletch the new two-handed crossbows.

Yes, two-handed crossbows are like the crossbow equivalent of a two-handed sword.

Quote:Player weaknesses
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Player worn armour does not have weaknesses to particular types of a combat style in the new system. For example, attacking a player with melee will not check if you are using a crushing or slashing weapon, it only cares that you are using melee. However, NPC's do have specific weaknesses in the new system, so you may find an NPC that is especially weak to Water Magic, or to crushing melee.

Quote:Ammunition for magic and ranged
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Rune costs for magic damage spells have been reworked and are generally much cheaper. The standard air spells now just require air runes, so you can cast for free with an air staff.

Using the new abilities does not consume ammo for mages or rangers, only your auto attacks comsume ammo, so the cost of combat for mages and rangers should come down quite a bit.

Quote:Prayer rework
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

As a general note, a notable size of the prayer rework involved giving mage and range access to what melee has access to so it doesn't just stop at turm

Yes, saps and leeches have been reworked too and they most definitely do what they are supposed to now.

Quote:Augury and rigour token refund
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
To make it fair for all 3 combat styles Rigour and Augury will be removed from the dungeoneering shop and your points will be refunded. They will now unlock alongside Piety by completing the knights waves.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones
Thanks for posting this information Dave. smile
A lot of small, simple stuff, but it makes sense so I am glad Jagex is doing it. 2H Crossbow looks interesting, but if it like any 2H melee weapon, wont be useful.
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

wow thanks for the info atlest the release date isn't fixed give me time to get my goals completed before it comes out.
Can't WAIT.
"Men have called me mad, but the question is not yet settled
whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence whether
all that is profound does not spring from disease of thought
from moods of mind exalted at the expense of general intellect"

[Image: annie_league_of_legends_signature_by_chi...4ylyti.png]

[Image: L7adChF.png]

(2012-06-25 14:23:01)AlchemyHawk Wrote:  Thanks for posting this information Dave. smile
A lot of small, simple stuff, but it makes sense so I am glad Jagex is doing it. 2H Crossbow looks interesting, but if it like any 2H melee weapon, wont be useful.

The Duel Wielding page in Combat HQ says that 2h weapons will have 150% damage output compared with 100% for a 1h and 50% for an offhand. On top of that each individual weapon is supposed to have its own unique role in the overall scheme of things, so there's a purpose for all of them. So that's sort of their stated goal, and if it's not functioning as intended then they have a couple months to take feedback and iron it out during the beta. I think it's gonna turn out just fine.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones
Oh that makes a lot more sense. smile
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

Thanks for the info, helps clear up some minor details for everyone that may not have been clear. For once the RSOF is good for something.
[Image: evaluate-staff.png] 
Have a question? My PM is always ON.
Sweet, free dg tokens
[Image: zephyr.png][Image: L_Zephyr_l.png]
[Image: R4vciL12942791852-9.gif]
I was doubting this but now it cant wait for it smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beta Screenshots Chris J Y 20 12,762 2013-04-19 18:24:58
Last Post: Gold_Trustee
  Runescape 3 Beta Clifford 44 24,127 2013-04-18 11:07:18
Last Post: Michael