Been hacked!!!
Thread Closed 

ok while at college i get a weird email from jagex saying something about someone will get in touch soon as possible....so i was like ok then that's weird! then i read further down the email and the hacker has sent the email saying "which one of my account was this for" i dunno why i but i ignored it and went to finish my work then 5 mins later i get another email from jagex saying i have requested a password recovery then it hits me i have been hacked! i instatley log on to my email and change my hotmail password but by the time i have done that the hacker all ready has changed my Runescape password and email!!

weird thing was he never changed my email password

anyway JAG has failed me and my email has been changed i'm scared by the time i get my account back the hacker has removed my back pin.

could some one please tell me if they have seen/ can see if i'm online in the clan chat also if anyone knows
a Jmod to please ask them to lock the account...player support is taking ages to reply to me. Thanks! <3
He got in even with JAG? That's worrying Sad Fingers crossed bank PIN saved you in time... Will keep an eye out for you logging in smile Player support is *usually* alright, if they don't reply within a day I'd try again and they will almost definitely lock it before the PIN is deactivated.

It's worth setting up 2 step verification when you get it back, if you haven't already, so that no one can get into your email unless they have your mobile phone also (I think hotmail may have started offering this, not sure, but GMail definitely do).
[Image: portus-champ-2012.png]
[Image: portus.png]
Yeah i know right! to remove jag do you need to enter the security questions? Thanks portus

I shall look in to the phone verification Thanks for letting me know Biggrin
Well, one of the problems with JAG is a lot of people sign up without realising how much of a commitment it is so they don't bother writing the answers down anywhere... So there has to be some way to disable it without having the answers or people will be locked out forever (their fault, but sucks for everyone if a ton of people quit). All you have to do is send an e-mail and it will be deactivated if they believe it's you. I don't know just how much info you have to know before they give in, I do have faith it's intensive, but it's definitely possible to get it disabled without the answers...

I've seen a couple of cases where the JAG answers themselves have been found out because they've saved the answers somewhere on their system, or even had them uploaded online (auto-synching through the cloud). If your computer is infected your documents aren't secure, thus they can find them that way. I think if you ask Jagex themselves whether JAG was deactivated or if they just knew the answers they are able to find out and let you know, which should help narrow it down a little bit. You might even be able to find out yourself when you regain control, I'm not too sure. There's also always the possibility it was a friend who just knew the answers if they were honest (it's recommended to use answers like "dshafsh121kdh" to avoid that).

Either way, it's definitely worth scanning your computer and making sure there's nothing on there. They found our your password somehow and it's pretty common for people who get hacked once to have it happen again a month or two later. Plus, if they have access to your e-mail then your runescape account could be the least of your worries. I personally use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Microsoft Security Essentials for my scans and have never had any problems.

When you set up two-step verification it's worth creating a separate account just for your runescape account and nothing else. For example, mine is something like pssfafafhbfbfasf@gmail.com; you don't want it something guessable. Write the username and password down somewhere safe (mine's in a drawer & in my filing cabinet). It may be overkill but it's not really that much effort and it's worth it for the piece of mind.

I'm no security expert btw, some of this might be a little off (I'm sure someone will come along and offer something better/correct me) but it should cover most of the important things! There's plenty of threads on the Account Help forum about how to secure your account too if I remember correctly. There is the concern that they used some sort of software to capture you typing in your RS bank PIN at some point, but fingers crossed you caught it in time! Should definitely be able to prevent it from happening again at the very least smile
[Image: portus-champ-2012.png]
[Image: portus.png]
Hope everything turns out ok!!! ):
As Portus covered pretty in-depth, since you have JAG they'd probably at worst end up locking the account before the pin was reset. I really hope it all turns out well, and glad you caught it so soon!
[Image: evaluate-staff.png] 
Have a question? My PM is always ON.
This is awful, so much hackings recently I am getting so worried for my account. Bad
I hope they didn't get anything!
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

I too also recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, as Portus has mentioned.

Also, when creating your new JAG questions/answers, it is best to do it on a mobile device, such as an iPad or iPhone/Android phone. Grin

As for the answers to the questions, I actually provide a totally different answer to the question with a mix of letters and numbers, and keep it written down on a piece of paper.
[Image: Ninth_Legion.png]
Thanks for all the help and support, i have cleaned my computer and made a new email with google smile

currently no email back from jagex and i tried speaking to mod mike in his cc but he ignored me Sad
Sucks they have changed Account Help forums now, just hoping the hacker hasn't managed to get to far.

once again thank you for all your help <3
Just an update Jagex have finally sent me a email back asking me to prove i'm the owner, so hopefully not to long till i'm back in game smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I wasn't hacked.. but I was! Read on! SirAddiLot 6 4,746 2018-05-07 01:32:28
Last Post: SirAddiLot
  Swiftkit Hacked Exbajalator 31 22,231 2013-11-07 18:57:13
Last Post: Jonathan
  Hacked Jordan 7 5,594 2013-10-11 08:20:53
Last Post: Tay
  Joey has been hacked. Killians 14 9,361 2013-07-18 19:26:22
Last Post: Joseph
  Been hacked today... Smith 14 8,911 2013-02-08 19:15:23
Last Post: Smith