Og Blog: Tradition and Challenge
Thread Closed 

(2012-06-20 22:29:50)Jay Wrote:  
(2012-06-20 22:22:18)Portus Wrote:  I actually like everything about this. Assuming they rework slayer like Micah said- don't discourage us from killing low levels then force us to Tongue

I'd imagine most would be in the range anyway, it'd sad to say goodbye just to dagganoths..

I assume you're meaning slayer wise, and in that case I'd tell you to go to Dag kings. I assume that's what they are trying to force higher levels into doing. Doing content that is actually MADE for high levels, instead of going and wrecking lower level training spots for those players that should actually be training on them.

Makes sense to me, but I also see why people would get mad over it.

I think the slayer assignment lists are going to have to be reworked big time, and certain monsters are going to need to have their combat levels adjusted. As it is now, most of the assignments you can get from Kuradal have <170 combat and therefore won't give any combat xp to someone with 200. And with summoning and prayer out of the equation, that's going to be a lot of people not getting combat xp.

What worries me a little more about this change is that it may make it difficult for people who don't train their combat skills evenly. As an extreme example, you can get to 200 combat without ever training ranged. Once that happens, you're going to have a hard time finding something to train on, since your target has to be 170+ combat.

(2012-06-20 22:39:56)Evaluate Wrote:  Well, I've gotta say, I'm not upset by any of this. I do think removing the impact of Prayer, Summoning, and Constitution on your combat is a bit silly, if in the end it makes PvM combat easier to balance with these whole range deals, then I don't see it as a problem.

Every one of these blogs is making me more and more excited for this to go live.

I'm every bit as excited now as I ever was about this, and then some, but Jagex is making a mistake on this one.

I think the better way to go would be to balance pvp against itself first, and then work on pvm in the context of what has now been put together. It may be that that's what they did, but if you read about the Crucible on the rsof you'll find that a steel titan doesn't count for anything in those calculations either, and that people don't particularly like it that way.

Jagex said they were going to do something about pures in their combat formula, so that people couldn't build their characters in a way that their combat level is deceptive, but there is going to be a larger imbalance when someone's combat level doesn't reflect their access to turmoil/ss, steel titans, etc. Those things are so game-changing that it doesn't make any sense to exclude them from the formula.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones
Very interesting article. I'm a bit split on the whole idea of adjusting combat levels really. 200 does seem very rounded and neat, but excluding summoning, prayer and constitution seems rather stupid as they are combat orientated skills. This will surely remove a lot of training methods from the game though i.e. Skeleton Monkeys under Ape Atoll will no longer be able to be chinned unless your combat level is no higher than 172.
Adventurer's Log | Exp Tracker | Goals & Achievements
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
I am fairly sportive almost all monsters will have their combat levels adjust too, so I wouldn't count any monsters out yet.
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

This is all well and good, but does it pass the "Meg test"? Tongue
Quote:
What is the point of being an adult , if you can't be childish sometimes.
--Tom Baker as The Fourth Doctor

They're really implementing some great things and doing some new things which is nice and all but some of it just confusing and unnecessary.
Saw this topic on the RSOF from Mod Rathe and it answers a lot of questions bout the combat level formula and the combat xp restriction.

Quote:Hi all,

I hope to clarify our thinking behind the new combat level calculation here. As you will have seen, the new combat level calculation has been announced and is:

2 + Defence + X = Combat Level
X = The highest of either Attack, Strength, Ranged or Magic

Therefore the new highest combat level is 200, and the new lowest is 4.

What we wanted to achieve with the new calculation was to streamline it, so making it easier to gauge how difficult your target will be to fight. Now while in a way it is sad to see Prayer, Summoning and Constitution retired from the formula, we felt that they were just complicating the issue.

While Prayer does make a big difference to the outcome of a fight, ultimately either someone has it or they don't and you'll soon see if they do when they use it. To this end, we felt people who are serious about their combat would all have the necessary Prayers. In a system where everyone has something, featuring it in the calculation doesn't really help anyone, and so for the sake of streamlining, Prayer was dropped from the formula.

In regards to Summoning and Constitution, while again they do make a difference, in the new system they don't make enough of a difference to warrant a place in the new formula. A maxed out player in the best gear will have 990 Lifepoints from their Constituion, but will be getting around 15,000 Lifepoints from their equipment. Summoning has largely been left to one side for now, as we wish to re-visit the skill with an overhaul of its very own in the future. For now, Summoning doesn't play a large part in the new combat system, so again is not featured in the new formula.
...We hope the new combat level will give people a clearer view of what their target is capable of. With the new level of balance we hope to bring to Melee, Range and Mage, and the reinforcement of the combat triangle, having 99 in Attack, Strength, Magic and Range won't provide you with an advantage over someone with only 99 in one corner of the combat triangle. Armours now feature heavy negative penalties for attacking with the wrong style while wearing them, so having 99's in all the corners of the combat triangle will not present an advantage during a fight. Where having 99's will be an advantage, is giving you the choice as to what style of combat you want to use before a fight.

We are very keen to hear your feedback on all aspects of the new system, and will work closely with the players during the Beta to help polish the system to the best it can be.

Some final random thoughts:

All NPC's have had their combat level changed to reflect their true combat ability, and will use the same system as players (a lot of boss monsters use fake combat levels in LIVE currently)

Players worried about a level 4 guy with 99 Summoning cleaning house with their Steel Titan needn't worry, that level 4 will get demolished with no defence, and hence no larger lifepoints pool.

Armour switching in combat will not be an effective tactic to employ, as when you switch some armour in combat, you will encur a double global cool-down across all your abilities, which will result in your damage output taking a serious hit in the short-term which will give quite an advantage to your opponent who will still be blasting away at you.
QFC=296-297-805-63808234
Quote:I seen a fair few posts turn up about people worrying about not getting Slayer xp from low level tasks. To clarify the recent blog post, in the new system, Slayer XP is not affected by being over 30 levels above the target NPC. It is only the traditional combat XP that is affected in this way: Attack, Strength, Defence, Ranged, Magic and Constitution. If you are 30 or more levels above your target, you will receive reduced XP in these stats from killing them, as opposed to none at all. Slayer XP is not reduced.

Also, this only applies when you are *above* the targets level. If you are below the targets level, such as when fighting a boss such as Nex, there is no XP penalty.

Further clarification - all NPC's in the game have been given new combat levels. There should now always be something good to train on for full XP for your combat level.

Update:

After interrogating my fellow combat developers, here is more detailed information on XP:

The XP reduction kicks in based on comparing your offensive stat to the enemy Defence level, and in fact does not use your overall combat level. Here is an example:

I have 99 Attack, 99 Defence and 1 Magic.
I Mage an NPC with 50 Defence, and I have selected to Mage defensively, so gaining Magic and Defence XP.
Let's say this NPC awards 200 XP, therefore 50% (100 XP) is for Magic and 50% (100 XP) is for Defence.
My Defence skill is more than 30 levels above the NPC so this XP is reduced down to 10% (10 XP).
However, my Magic skill is less than 30 levels away from the NPC so I get 100% of my Magic XP (100 XP).
I am awarded 10 Defence XP and 100 Magic XP.
The reduction is only applied down, never up. So if I kill an NPC that is 50 levels higher than my offence and defence skill, I will be awarded 100% of the XP.
However, if my offence and defence skills are 30+ levels above the NPC I kill, I shall only be awarded 10% of the XP.
QFC=296-297-574-63808127
Master of All Wills and Quests
[Image: gohankuten.png][Image: GohanRAWR.gif]
Wow thanks for posting those Gohan, it does address several of the problems I have seen raised.
Also it gives me confidence that Jagex really did think this through thoroughly, I am back to being very excited for this! Yahoo
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

(2012-06-21 02:25:38)Tayze Wrote:  Very interesting article. I'm a bit split on the whole idea of adjusting combat levels really. 200 does seem very rounded and neat, but excluding summoning, prayer and constitution seems rather stupid as they are combat orientated skills. This will surely remove a lot of training methods from the game though i.e. Skeleton Monkeys under Ape Atoll will no longer be able to be chinned unless your combat level is no higher than 172.

That passed my mind haha... that would be a little depressing, I guess if you needed to get 99 range fast, or to those maxed people getting 200M Range it would be a downer, can imagine price of chinchompa's would drop somewhat.

Though tbh they stated Ranging and maging would be better, so I guess there would be decent viable ways of training them efficiently with cost in mind aswell, so should be ok.
~Rinaldi//Dom~
Have a visit of my Farming Goal thread!
[Image: Signature-1.png]
It's going to be interesting to see how it works, I'm definitely interested! However, it does annoy me because almost everyone will be 200 combat, where as right now I feel good with 138, but I understand it.

Quote:having 99 in Attack, Strength, Magic and Range won't provide you with an advantage over someone with only 99 in one corner of the combat triangle. Armours now feature heavy negative penalties for attacking with the wrong style while wearing them, so having 99's in all the corners of the combat triangle will not present an advantage during a fight. Where having 99's will be an advantage, is giving you the choice as to what style of combat you want to use before a fight.

Quote:Armour switching in combat will not be an effective tactic to employ, as when you switch some armour in combat, you will encur a double global cool-down across all your abilities, which will result in your damage output taking a serious hit in the short-term which will give quite an advantage to your opponent who will still be blasting away at you.
RIP BRIDDING 2K12...
:: Maxed Combat - 14 Skill Capes
[Image: scaled.php?server=804&filename=chazsig.png&res=landing]
Life's good, you know I ain't going to lie. I'm going to light it up like the 4th of July.
If I can keep it up, I ain't sleeping tonight cuz up till now it's been a hell of a ride.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dev Blog - Prestige Wader 39 20,915 2013-10-20 13:32:06
Last Post: Trey-
  BTS #73 - Og Blog October Wader 6 4,651 2013-10-06 07:28:33
Last Post: Tay
  Alan's Super September Challenge Wader 13 7,869 2013-09-20 20:26:16
Last Post: Wader
  Og Blog: The Final Challenges Mini Kniight 2 2,641 2012-06-25 19:38:14
Last Post: Jay
  Og Blog: Skill, Variety and Fun Mini Kniight 4 3,899 2012-06-12 21:20:30
Last Post: Blackice