bots
Thread Closed 

(2011-07-31 01:08:16)old_jon Wrote:  What I've also found is there is plenty to do that is not affected by bots. Enough for me to continue enjoying the game. Even with a huge bot presence, I can still do those enjoyable activities.

This.

Although bots are incredibly annoying for some skills (which is precisely why my hunter level will remain at 63 until there is some kind of major action against them), there are still alot of bot-free things to do, like Slayer, as someone else said.

I still want them gone, although with the way things are escalating I'd rather just see free trade gone again, if that would fix the problem. Blush2
(2011-07-31 02:25:23)Virianda Wrote:  
(2011-07-31 01:08:16)old_jon Wrote:  What I've also found is there is plenty to do that is not affected by bots. Enough for me to continue enjoying the game. Even with a huge bot presence, I can still do those enjoyable activities.

This.

Although bots are incredibly annoying for some skills (which is precisely why my hunter level will remain at 63 until there is some kind of major action against them), there are still alot of bot-free things to do, like Slayer, as someone else said.

I still want them gone, although with the way things are escalating I'd rather just see free trade gone again, if that would fix the problem. Blush2

Limited trade wouldn't really affect the bots in the sense they can just sell their profits to the GE, the biggest reason there wasn't so many bots during the Pvp/Bh worlds era was because 26k/76king was so easy money they didn't need to bot for cash.
I don't even want to start... Hate em, in kind words
[Image: xjWu8.png]
[Image: 2a6jyb5.png]

Hate 'em but oh well, Jagex doesn't really care tbh.

After seeing that picture, maybe I'll actually be able to afford 99 Prayer soon. Tongue
[Image: d9XeE71336709893.gif]

[Image: SRL_Fear.png][Image: fear.png]

[Image: k2o37l.jpg]
Atleast bots don't report me every two minutes that I don't talk. I prefer bots because unlike the majority of runescape players they're not utterly retarded.
[Image: whid1.gif]
I think I remember a quote from Mod Andy saying that 'Eventually bot technology will be so advanced that they will be un-dectable'.
[Image: Pokemon_logo___Umbreon_by_PrinzeBur.gif]
(2011-07-31 03:25:19)Magnus Wrote:  Limited trade wouldn't really affect the bots in the sense they can just sell their profits to the GE, the biggest reason there wasn't so many bots during the Pvp/Bh worlds era was because 26k/76king was so easy money they didn't need to bot for cash.

It would effect the gold farmers, seeing as most bots (the ones wearing granite, d med's, you know) are run by gold selling sites, without free trade, that's no longer possible, hence why the problem got so massive after free trade came back.

It obviously wouldn't really effect the bots that are just people cheating though.
Quote:This is one of the main reasons I like slayer. You really don't encounter that many bots, and if you do, they usually aren't so disruptive. I'm not looking forward to gathering skills for this very reason but there's always places to train that are just as good and not bot infested.

Sorry do we play the same game? Slayer is getting INFESTED. Black demons for example- they used to be the best task in the game. Now, most people skip them. Why? You can't get a kill in because of bots.

Tried killing Dags? Tried being the key word here, with 1 bot per dag spawn it takes twice as long (and twice as many cannonballs) to finish the task. All that's left is Kuradal's cave (for now) and crappy tasks like Guard Dogs/Suqahs. There are ways around most tasks but I don't want to have to adjust my playing style to incorporate players who aren't meant to be there.

Jagex said they had good bot detection software which is one of the reasons why free trade was voted for so highly. Given the vote now I'm sure many players would convert back. I've seen none of this software in action. When training just about any skill in the game I've come across obvious bots, and reported them. Then tracked their progress. Not a single bot I reported had their stats wiped/account banned and many of these are walking around showing off their agility, thieving, hunter or what not capes. It's easy to tell whose a bot, why aren't they being banned when they've even been reported? I honestly think Jagex exaggerate their staff numbers. I don't think anyone reads reports (in game or bug reports). My evidence being glitches I've reported which would take mere seconds to fix (e.g. removing ", gt" from the swear filter) have gone unsolved for weeks. Why? It's not been read. There's also clearly very few people in the quality assurance- remember when they updated climbing boots and accidentally converted all the ones in the game into the ones worth 75k? No one checks anything, no one reads reports.

The only thing I've ever seen being done about them is the high level forums arranged "bot busting" events where they travel around to bot heavy locations and a JMod bans em all. As lovely as this is, why not hire a staff member to world hop in the major locations (eg frost dragons) and immediately ban anyone caught botting there. As it stands, it's EASY to tell whose a real player and who isn't.

Get rid of free trade, get rid of the grand exchange. With the grand exchange gone it's much harder to convert raw materials into gold to sell. Investigate any players with large amounts of a certain material and ban them if they've received them all for free from low level accounts. Problem improved.

Remember when the RC cape got moved from Aubury to Larryr? Bots couldn't teleport to the rune essence mine, something to do with the number in the code I heard. I was reading on the RS forums it's easy to change any number in the code without changing anything except slight appearance. A scheduled daily update forcing bots to rewrite their scripts would definitely aid the problem. (Not solve, but aid).

There are SO many things Jagex could easily do to assist with the problem. They're doing none of them. Obviously a company has to care about money as its number one goal but they've reached a point where the balance is wrong. It no longer looks they care about the game AT ALL nor do they listen to their customers. The way they come across is discouraging and this is why people are starting to cancel their subscriptions. There's no indication the problem affecting paying customer's game-play is going to be addressed. We're paying them for the game so it would be logical to listen to what we want rather than constantly wasting resources on updates no one gives a crap about. Would having a no update week instead of ever releasing livid farm cause members to quit? I highly doubt it.

Think of it this way; if a restaurant has rats and a customer complains the manager would do everything in his power to get rid of them due to fear of losing all his current customers. (If there wasn't controls about shutting down restaurants this would be the case at least). Sure, he could leave them alone but in the end he'll have a restaurant with no paying customers and rats everywhere.

When all the real players leave because of the bot crisis there'll be no one left to buy gold farmer's gold. So, they stop botting. No players, no bots, no game. I've never known a company to ignore complaints like Jagex. The corporation has been spiralling downwards ever since the whole CEO/staff change and they're soon to reach a point where there's no going back if they don't buck up their ideas.
There's bots in every game. And since RS is a relatively easy game to program a bot for, they're always be some (or many as of now).

As long as I remember, there we're bots when I started playing the game at the start of RS2.

But the sole thing I wanted to add to Portus, is that bots programmers are like hackers. You may add tools and gates to prevent them for breaching, but they will, without a doubt, breach in anytime they want.

Kids 17 years old can take down mastercard, visa, paypal, ebay, sony....

What can a game company do? In my opinion, it's a useless fight. They can't do much.

Damn bots :/
Main: Princess Emiko Yuki
Alt: Princess Revy Chan

I hate them and wish they were not there, but I am pretty much used to them around so I wouldnt say they affect me too much.
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Livestream on Bots Portus 20 12,687 2012-09-18 22:30:17
Last Post: Zooperman
  Landmark Jagex Victory Over Bots in Legal Battle Evaluate 22 13,534 2012-02-04 08:19:20
Last Post: Wendy
  Bots Successfully Nuked Tay 20 11,803 2011-11-13 01:22:23
Last Post: Lilbod
Currency "nuking" the bots. lol Exciled 36 20,860 2011-11-01 23:12:56
Last Post: Jakee
  Bots... Shane 2 2,687 2011-08-02 05:27:14
Last Post: Shay