Dev Blog - Prestige
Thread Closed 

(2013-10-11 03:31:47)Angus Wrote:  Can someone explain it, does it reset your xp to 0 each time you prestige? Or wat

To prestige, you'll have to start over at level 1, but you'll be able to turn off the prestige levels and go back to 99 at any time. It's essentially a new way for people to continue gaining levels and competing for high scores, rather than letting it end at 200m.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones
Not really sure what I think of it at the moment. Too ill to really care.
TERRWYN: Welsh name meaning "brave fair one."

[Image: pbmJpDG.png][Image: e5juWGD.png]
[Image: 9mnl8B0.gif][Image: RnAibsa.png]
[Image: user1-dark.png]    
Skill pets since my return 4th September 2018
19th October - Bernie the Firemaking pet drop 
30th October - Brains the Farming pet drop
8th November - Malcolm the Invention pet drop
16th November - Shamini the Summoning pet drop
Very interesting concept. I know there's been a lot of discussion in recent years about the possibility of raising the level cap of all skills to 120 (like Dungeoneering) but I think this actually makes more sense than that. RuneScape has reached a point now where since there is a very limited number of low leveled players and an abundance of high leveled players which results in a lot of dead low leveled content. With the introduction of a prestige system a lot of that content will undoubtedly become utilized again. I'm sure it will do the economy a world of good too, with a lot more produce once again entering the market.

I've noticed a lot of negativity towards this idea on the RSOF, but considering it's completely optional to prestige your skills, I don't think there's a lot people can whinge about. It will provide a good challenge to those who wish to be competitive in the high scores but simply can't because they started playing the game too late.

The only downside to this is that everyone that has grinded away at their experience beyond 99 suddenly has a tonne of experience which means nothing (unless you look back to the current, or soon to be old, highscores system - let's be honest nobody will).
Adventurer's Log | Exp Tracker | Goals & Achievements
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
[Image: 4Naai.png]
Ok Ive read a bit more on this and it seems ridiculous tbh. If this was put as a secondary highscores instead of the main highscores that would be fine.. Having 338m total atm means exactly the same as 1.1b... Makes me feel like I shouldnt even bother playing until this update is released, needless to say I wont be prestiging though. I wouldnt have a clue how to train from level one again, and why should I have to lol. Ive worked hard for my exp, resetting it is just pointless :/

Edit: Isn't this the reason most of us didn't quit for 07? Because we didn't want to have to restart our end-game accounts from scratch?
[Image: angusmotm.png]
Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
They said theyd keep 2 different highscores, 1 for the 200ms already,, and the 2nd one for the competitive nature.
(2013-10-12 01:37:08)Joseph Wrote:  They said theyd keep 2 different highscores, 1 for the 200ms already,, and the 2nd one for the competitive nature.

I think @Angus@' worry is that the new prestige based highscores are obviously going to be heavily promoted and pushed to the front as the primary set of highscores, while the current ones will be pushed back and collect dust. I completely understand where he's coming from too, very frustrating for anyone that's trained skills beyond 99.
Adventurer's Log | Exp Tracker | Goals & Achievements
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Well at least this will mean people with 200m skills can gain xp for competitions again \o/
@iWader on Twitter.
(2013-10-12 00:13:02)Angus Wrote:  Makes me feel like I shouldnt even bother playing until this update is released

I've stopped playing "properly" since it was announced (skipping warbands was painful!) and moved onto other things such as Vorago for GP (been losing a lot of GP so far though..) and finally playing Great Orb Project for Master RC Robes. I want to also try to do some barbarian assault to get some bonus agility experience stored because at the moment it looks like they don't intend on changing the way the stored bonus experience works and it would help a lot at the lower levels.

Rambling:
Little annoying that the last two years for me hasn't contributed to the main highscores, but I'm actually quite excited to see how this turns out. The last two years were fun regardless.

One thing that's interesting to me is that there's going to be an "achievement" for those who reset all their skill at the same time, then fully max them all out again.

I've generally preferred training all stats at a somewhat similar level rather than focusing on one so might end up going for this. I'm not sure yet, it makes sense to do this immediately if ever because it's only going to get harder as the experience required per level goes up and up every prestige.. But it would also be much slower overall than resetting certain skills individually.. Guess it depends on what the achievement is Tongue

There's a strawpoll going on the HLF and despite 90%+ of posters complaining about the update the results show an almost exactly 50:50 split. Considering that they're generally the players who feel the most screwed over by this update I'm guessing that the general reception of the prestige system is much more positive than it seems.

The idea of there being no concrete "end" (200M in all) is quite scary, that was always one of the things I always liked most about the game: it was a difficult yet achievable goal, even if I never really planned on reaching it. I think for me this might make the game less "stressful" in that there's no longer going to be so much of a sense of urgency. There's no amount of experience I "need" to get. I don't know whether this is a good thing or not though. Maybe the fun comes from seeing progress towards a final goal and having the drive created by this sense of urgency.

It's gunna be a lot of fun when it comes out, for sure! I do think it's a shame that the community is going to be split even further though (those who follow old highscores, those who follow the new ones). There's a diminishing level of players in the game and we already had the EoC/07scape split. I liked the game as one large community as opposed to several smaller ones.
[Image: portus-champ-2012.png]
[Image: portus.png]
There's going to be an official poll going up soon, and the players can decide what Jagex will do with Prestige.

I was all for prestige until I did a bit more research and realized that it's not that great of an idea as it is right now.

Prestige is essentially a huge slap in the face not only for the dedicated players who have 200m exp but also for any player who has more than the 13m exp needed to get 99. Prestige will put all those players, despite however many hours you put into training a skill, all on the same level again. All those hours you spent getting more exp have now gone to waste because when you reset and gain a prestige level, you'll be at the same prestige at 200m as someone with 13m. Just think if you could prestige at level 50, and you spent so much extra time getting 99, but now suddenly you were on the same playing field as people with level 50 because that extra exp you got doesn't count for anything more. That's what it's like right now.

Now Jagex could change this to make extra exp count towards more prestige so that people with 200m could start with higher prestige than those with 13m, but this was never mentioned in the devblog.

Additionally, Jagex stated that while the old hiscores would still be present, the default hiscores would be the prestige system. So no, you can't completely turn off prestige when your default ranking is based on prestige, despite the fact that you can turn it off in game.

There are changes that could be made to make prestige better, but at the moment I think it's a big endeavor that hasn't been thought out very well. If it's implemented right now, Jagex will definitely see their player base go down, and I for one would not like the player base to dwindle more than it already is.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capes of Prestige Hayden 11 8,414 2014-06-25 10:31:43
Last Post: Benzoo
  BTS #73 - Og Blog October Wader 6 4,636 2013-10-06 07:28:33
Last Post: Tay
  Og Blog: The Final Challenges Mini Kniight 2 2,634 2012-06-25 19:38:14
Last Post: Jay
  Og Blog: Tradition and Challenge Mini Kniight 18 10,048 2012-06-21 19:26:03
Last Post: Chaz
  Og Blog: Skill, Variety and Fun Mini Kniight 4 3,894 2012-06-12 21:20:30
Last Post: Blackice