Dev Blog - Prestige
Thread Closed 

Some positive news guys a post from Mod Jack in Prestige - Community Poll thread in future updates forum.

QFC = 16-17-697-65181137

Quote:Hi everyone!

Just got out of a serious four hour meeting with Mod MMG, Mod Mark and Mod Pips.

Prestige was intended from the start to be a really positive thing. We wanted to create something to bring players together in competing once more and having something to strive for. We sounded the idea out with some high level players early on and they made positive noises, so we were confident that we were doing something good.

It's very clear from the community feedback that not everyone agrees. We're definitely not too proud to admit that we made a mistake, but we need to know that the negative feedback is definitely representative.

Therefore, we've decided to put this to a poll. We're still working out the details of exactly how we're going to poll it, but if a majority of players don't want the update to happen, it won't happen.

More on this tomorrow.
~Rinaldi//Dom~
Have a visit of my Farming Goal thread!
[Image: Signature-1.png]
Thanks Dom! Hopefully it's like the 07 polls where they need over 75% for an update to pass
[Image: angusmotm.png]
Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
(2013-10-14 23:49:55)Angus Wrote:  Thanks Dom! Hopefully it's like the 07 polls where they need over 75% for an update to pass

Hoping this too.
TERRWYN: Welsh name meaning "brave fair one."

[Image: pbmJpDG.png][Image: e5juWGD.png]
[Image: 9mnl8B0.gif][Image: RnAibsa.png]
[Image: user1-dark.png]    
Skill pets since my return 4th September 2018
19th October - Bernie the Firemaking pet drop 
30th October - Brains the Farming pet drop
8th November - Malcolm the Invention pet drop
16th November - Shamini the Summoning pet drop
I'm really intrigued to see what the results of the upcoming poll will be. I'm personally still not sure whether I'm 100% for or against this, however as @Portus@ mentioned earlier, there's been about a 50:50 split on most polling in the HLF. I do however think the end game mechanics need changing. Whether that's through a prestige system or level 120 in each skill I'm not sure.
Adventurer's Log | Exp Tracker | Goals & Achievements
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
This should be interesting.
Remember to for what you think its best, not what others tell you to vote for.

=]
I'm happy that we're seeing a poll done, but it also worries me slightly as getting the poll done right will be almost as difficult as getting prestige itself done right. Just very slight changes in how the prestige system will work will make a massive difference so it doesn't make any sense polling before feedback has been taken into account and the prestige system adjusted accordingly. For example, there's still a lot of discussion with Mod Jack about whether or not those who have trained past 99 should be given extra credit in the new system.

I also hope that in order to vote there's a few basic questions about how the system works which you must answer correctly or you'll have your right to vote temporarily revoked (just for a few hours or something, plenty of time to vote later). Reading the RSOF, many of the questions people are asking are already answered in the dev blog itself and even many of the complaints are from those who haven't understood the system.

I'm not saying that there aren't valid reasons to oppose prestige, there are, but the confusion around it is leading to a snowball effect of negativity. Considering the client doesn't display news many players aren't hearing about the update from the official source, but from the more vocal, negative half of the community. So there will be many voting against prestige when all they really know about it is "People say Jagex don't care about players!!!!!"

We also have to bear in mind that the only time the playerbase voted on a game changing update in the past was about free trade. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I'm assuming the majority agree with me that bringing back free trade was bad for the game. Sure, Jagex mess up a lot, but their track record is better than ours.

I'll be voting yes, probably, but I'll be happy with either result as long as it's done fairly. Usually I'd be concerned that we'll end up with a poorly thought out compromise but Mod Jack seems clued up enough to make it a success.
[Image: portus-champ-2012.png]
[Image: portus.png]
I read this earlier on the hlf and it seems like a decent idea:

"....as soon as you log into your account, you have 24 hours to decide if you wish to prestige your stats (you can choose all of just individuals). Choosing to do so within the time frame will give you your deserved prestige. If you allow the time to pass, you will simply go to level 1 prestige 1 if you choose to prestige in the future."

It seemed to me that Mod Jack wasn't a fan of giving out higher prestiges for previous exp, as that defeats the purpose of the update anyway. The whole point being to allow new players to get the top spots and if you can go straight to maxed prestige 4 or w/e, it means we're in the exact same spot as right now. Still not a fan of the update in general.
[Image: angusmotm.png]
Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
I actually like this idea even if it means all the the time and gp I spent getting 30m craft or 57m cook or 20m in various skills means nothing now (on the prestige highscores). I would prestige... *I think*... have to read more into it all before actually committing to that but it sounds fun to start it all over again essentially and not only need 13m but 26m to get 99 the second time around.. or is it still 99 at 13m but you need to gain 26m to get the next prestige... still need to actually read or watch this devblog, haven't done either yet.

If my understanding is correct the regular highscores will still be there and still show me as rank 400 something in craft no matter what my prestige or anyone else's prestige is, it's just the prestige highscores that will show me as a far different rank.

I also feel this will be pretty good for the economy being people will need all that cash for the prestige ranks in skills like summon, construction, herblore, etc... AND on the other side all the product coming into the game from the produce skills.

The only thing I don't like about it much at the moment and this is just me bitching :p!! is the fact that folks with billions of gold already banked or even a few hundred million will have a far better advantage in buyables than others unless we spend the time from now until release making as much gp as we can. Can't bitch much though as some of those people legitimately made that gp and spent hours doing so.

Edit: On another note I can see a good amount of gp to be made here if you were to buy and save the right materials now and sell them when this update goes through as the big wave of people resetting to knock out this first prestige should be massive and many of them will start buying up stuff to knock out the easy buyables right away.
[Image: Vf5Ok.png]
[Image: k00kmf.png]
I read on the dev blog thread that it will need 2/3 of the votes in order to pass. But he also said it would be a "Yes/No" poll. From how Mod Jack is sounding as of late with his posts, it seems like they are already rethinking the idea, but are just making sure the overall population of RS does not want their idea of prestige.

We'll see soon enough I guess.
They've released a poll http://services.runescape.com/m=news/con...--prestige

Needs 75% yes to be implemented, otherwise they'll go back and redesign the system based on user feedback. I'm guessing most people would be happy if they just counted all current xp towards prestige. I know that defeats the object of the new, fresh start to the hiscores, but it doesnt leave them in the state atm where no one can get to rank 1 in any skill because people with 200m are already there, as far as im aware, theres no limit to the amount of times you can prestige?

I voted no and at the time of voting the result was no with 75% ~190 votes.
@iWader on Twitter.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capes of Prestige Hayden 11 8,414 2014-06-25 10:31:43
Last Post: Benzoo
  BTS #73 - Og Blog October Wader 6 4,641 2013-10-06 07:28:33
Last Post: Tay
  Og Blog: The Final Challenges Mini Kniight 2 2,635 2012-06-25 19:38:14
Last Post: Jay
  Og Blog: Tradition and Challenge Mini Kniight 18 10,049 2012-06-21 19:26:03
Last Post: Chaz
  Og Blog: Skill, Variety and Fun Mini Kniight 4 3,896 2012-06-12 21:20:30