Poll: How do you feel about this update?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
5 - Love it!
2 10.00%
4 - It's pretty good.
0 0%
3 - Not bad.
1 5.00%
2 - Could be better.
2 10.00%
1 - Not worth it.
1 5.00%
0 - Hate it.
12 60.00%
N/A - Doesn't really affect my gameplay.
2 10.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Squeal of Fortune – Extra Spins
Thread Closed 

(2012-04-03 01:31:44)l Zephyr l Wrote:  Wrote this somewhere else.

"Apparently im one of the few people that aren't incredibly butt hurt over this update. If people want to spend cash for a chance at free stuff, let them. So they get a 99 easier than you. So what? Runescape has been getting easier for the past 10 years. Now you just have to pay for it.

I know people in other games that have spent thousands to make their character better. Half the rewards on SoF are junk. And getting one wont ruin the economy. Say I get a spectral shield. I dont currently own one. I also think its useless. So i wont be selling one back to the GE, and my new one will sit in my bank.

So Jagex wants to make a quick buck. Cry about it. Someone tell me the last time a business didnt make any money, and was a huge success.

Have a nice day. "

This is basically the best update since removing F2P from the highscores. smile

The problem for me is not that people can use rl money to buy xp and money in rs it's that Jagex implemented this when it is clearly against their own rules that they have stood by for the past 11 years. They always stated the fact that they thought letting players use rl cash to get an advantage in game by buying xp or items or money was unfair and they frowned upon it. Now after they have fought RWTers and Bots they turn hypocrite and endorse RWT themselves. And they are also promoting gambling to minors which is even worse.
Master of All Wills and Quests
[Image: gohankuten.png][Image: GohanRAWR.gif]
Promoting gamblers to minors? Are you serious lol..

Yes I agree, I am not entirely pleased with this update, but just because a company said something 10 years ago and held by it for awhile doesn't mean they will always something. Things change, opinions differ, new people come in etc. You are being very over dramatic about this IMO, it is not like the game has really changed that much.
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

I wouldn't say what they are doing is considered RWT. Yes, you're giving Jagex money for in-game items, but Jagex is the company that made the game. I can see giving money to bot makers and gold sellers being bad, but at least the money you're giving Jagex will go towards the salaries of the people working to improve the game and make it better for the players. I agree with Micah that as time goes on, opinions change and new people come into the picture, bringing in new ideas. But comparing this to RWT is kind of like saying that membership fees are RWT; we're giving our money to Jagex for their product either way.
Honestly, the amount of cash you would have to spend to get a 99 is a fair amount (No idea how much, but it's not exactly a common thing). I understand why some people are crying about it, but it honestly doesn't bother me too much. If this is what they are doing instead of having more members that happen to be bots, then so be it. They have investors that they have to look out for as well and like Shay said, this isn't the first time a company, especially in the MMORPG's track record has done something like this.

Ah well whatever, I do also agree with Gohan's post in the fact that it should be more secure, having not to enter your details to rebuy and spin is a bit risky for an account.
[Image: Exbajalator.png][Image: Exbajalator.png]
[Image: 2q00m8h.jpg]
[Image: nMqpp.png]
=:-:=  Live Young, Have Fun And May Tomorrow Never Come =:-:=
To clear up the "Stored Credit Card" issue.... they actually don't use your stored information the first time you would buy but if you're dumb enough to select "remember my info" after you purchase then you data would be stored.
Is the glass half empty or half full? Neither, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
[Image: EW4yt.gif]
Exbaj- its around $500-1000 for a 99.

Gohan- "They always stated the fact that they thought letting players use rl cash to get an advantage in game by buying xp or items or money was unfair and they frowned upon it."
I understand they said that, and that it is slightly hypocritical, but honestly...An advantage over who? You? How does how much xp they have in a skill affect you? It doesnt.
Unless you pvp against them, how do their items give them an advantage over you? Im sure you have most of the items on the SoF, and if not could afford most. Sure there is that divine, but I doubt anyone will ever get that. Even if you can, besides the point. Im saying they are not better off than you are. Their spending money is the trade off for their xp. You get to keep your money.

Shay-"But comparing this to RWT is kind of like saying that membership fees are RWT; we're giving our money to Jagex for their product either way. "
I was thinking the same thing lol. We're all guilty, ban runescape!

Personally, I'm not going to let something bother me that wont effect me. I don't understand why people complain about things that wont affect anyone besides the people spending the money. Until I see a reason that shows how I will be affected negatively, I will support Jagex in this decision. You can say im being self absorbed or w/e, and thats fine. I probably am. But NO ONE is affected negatively. Unless you get hacked and someone buys over 9000 spins, but thats a different story.
[Image: zephyr.png][Image: L_Zephyr_l.png]
[Image: R4vciL12942791852-9.gif]
Well Zephyr, one could argue that if a lot of people start buying all their skills through extra spins it not only leaves you behind and at a disadvantage but can devalues skills. I do not necessarily think that, but I can see how others can. It is not really a big issue, since not that many people will probably spend $1000 for a 99, but if Jagex continues down this way I can see it becoming an issue. smile
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

(2012-04-03 04:00:59)AlchemyHawk Wrote:  Well Zephyr, one could argue that if a lot of people start buying all their skills through extra spins it not only leaves you behind and at a disadvantage but can devalues skills. I do not necessarily think that, but I can see how others can. It is not really a big issue, since not that many people will probably spend $1000 for a 99, but if Jagex continues down this way I can see it becoming an issue. smile

Maybe its just me, but I dont think anyone should care what levels other people have. There have always been people with higher skill totals than others.

Im not sure what I'm getting at. or I dont know how to say it.

But still, im not personally affected negatively being almost maxed. Sure I could buy those last 4 levels, but because I dont, I dont consider myself at a disadvantage to those who do. Maybe I am at a disadvantage in the game, but In real life, I have $2000 more than them, so who is really the winner?
[Image: zephyr.png][Image: L_Zephyr_l.png]
[Image: R4vciL12942791852-9.gif]
This was imho a horrible update, a sign of the direction of things, and I'm sad to say that it's a good excuse for me to take some time off RS. People have already shown that you can get significant hourly xp (for example in rc) doing this, much more than is possible skilling, I don't like the gambling aspect anyway, and most importantly, the allure of a myth/fantasy world has been deteriorating. Penguins, squeal, the pit, everything lately makes the game more like a pre-teen cartoon world and less like a fantasy adventure world. The DG update this month seems nice, but eh I gotta make a statement of principle.
Just to put things in perspective, one day's pay could buy me thousands of spins, which ATM would likely result in 99 rc, according to quite a few statistical postings I read. My fave quote:

In other news, we've also added a new quest about how gambling is bad. Complete it for 1 extra spin on the Squeal of Fortune.
If I don't see you in the future, I'll see you in the pasture.
[Image: Kivandien.png]
Maybe you don't care if the next guy in line pays for a quick boost, but it completely destroys the competitive aspect of the game where you try to improve yourself in relation to other players and climb the highscores. Just like the removal of f2p highscores killed the game for many of those players, the members game suffers when you cheapen their highscores by allowing people to climb up by paying for it rather than playing the game.

This goes against the stance Jagex has held for the entirety of its existence regarding rwt. They had always contended that a player's real life financial status should not dictate his ability to advance in their game, and today they threw that principle out the window. This is not something to be taken lightly.

Besides that, can anybody explain to me how THIS update (the main update, not anything in the patch notes/other news) makes Runescape a better game? And can you honestly say that we would be worse off without it? I certainly can't. Just like I said about the original SoF update, it's a cheap gimmick and it doesn't bring anything to the table.

Even if the update itself doesn't bother you, it should bother you that they allowed the game to stagnate another week in favor of it. The effort put into this update could have instead been directed toward new gameplay, or a new quest, or a new dungeon or monster or item, or improving old content, or working on the bot issue, or fixing the framerate and lag issues that seem to be rampant these days, but that's not what they did. They neglected their game another week in favor of an update that does nothing but take more money from their customers.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Answered Question about the Squeel or Wheel of Fortune. Huey 2 3,263 2012-11-03 21:16:10
Last Post: Huey
  The Squeal of Neptune Mini Kniight 14 9,039 2012-06-08 01:15:48
Last Post: Dave
  Squeal of Fortune Spins Angus 54 27,816 2012-06-05 15:43:49
Last Post: Elrydith
  Squeal of Fortune: Win More, Win Big! Mini Kniight 11 7,870 2012-05-29 14:07:34
Last Post: Random Dandy
  Spin and Win on the Squeal of Fortune! Shay 16 9,732 2012-03-02 06:53:44
Last Post: Wendy