Poll: How do you feel about this update?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
5 - Love it!
2 10.00%
4 - It's pretty good.
0 0%
3 - Not bad.
1 5.00%
2 - Could be better.
2 10.00%
1 - Not worth it.
1 5.00%
0 - Hate it.
12 60.00%
N/A - Doesn't really affect my gameplay.
2 10.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Squeal of Fortune – Extra Spins
Thread Closed 

so how much will 120dg cost me? Biggrin j/k anyone desperate enough to spend copious amounts of cash for a 99 on this game deserves to have wasted their money :p

I basically 100% agree with Zeph on everything he has said. None of it bothers me in the least.

I was curious to see how much these spins will be costing people though so here's a screen if anyone else was curious and hasn't looked

[Image: farm012833.png]

The only thing going through my mind when I clicked on "Buy more spins" was that it didn't automatically buy me spins and just add them to my monthly membership lol Tongue
[Image: Vf5Ok.png]
[Image: k00kmf.png]
(2012-04-03 05:51:13)Dave Wrote:  Maybe you don't care if the next guy in line pays for a quick boost, but it completely destroys the competitive aspect of the game where you try to improve yourself in relation to other players and climb the highscores. Just like the removal of f2p highscores killed the game for many of those players, the members game suffers when you cheapen their highscores by allowing people to climb up by paying for it rather than playing the game.

I agree strongly with Dave on the above.

I am also angry at Jagex for the following reason that I posted on the RS forums:

******* If you changed effigies so that people couldn't train skills (solely) via other (faster) methods, why did you do the complete opposite with this by re-creating that same problem? At least with effigies you *actually* had to play the game.. look at this guy for example: http://runetracker.org/track-whyplaygames,21,0 (1.8M rc xp gained in a few hours for no real ingame activity, just RL money via SoF) *********

I also find it frustrating that they claim this is not gambling. Yes it may not be gambling based on their definition, but it IS a form of gambling as it is luck based. It is also the sort of thing that very easily creates temptation to keep doing it over and over again, in hope of getting a specific reward, and I think this is an extremely unfair thing to use to their advantage, and something that must have been realised during the whole planning of this.
[Image: random-dandy.png][Image: jamessigsss.jpg]
I understand why it's in their interests to implement this and don't think they're stupid for doing it.

It's just really really really sad to see what it's come to. To begin with the idea was that the game was good and a good game alone would bring in a fair monthly income from an appropriate membership fee. Now it's very much the case that no new members are joining so instead, they need to work on increasing cash through methods which aren't recruiting more members.

They have two choices: Higher membership fees or microtransactions. I'm very surprised they went with the latter, but hey, they did. They're aware that if you haven't quit after all the game-destroying issues over the past year then you're not going to be quit after this, at least, most of us won't. So membership revenue goes down only marginally meaning every spin which is bought is a win.

I understand the reasoning behind the update but it's very sad to see they've noted that the end is near and they need to sap as much cash out of it as they can before the game dies completely. It's sad to see that development is no longer about creating a good game which in turn leads to more members and higher revenue. We're all hooked so why give us updates we'd like? They died after dungeoneering; they end game skill. There's no reason to- none at all from a monetary perspective and that's the only perspective a company can have.

Sure, few will waste substantial amounts of cash on this and skills won't be devalued at all but the floodgates are open: it's only a matter of time before packs such as "1m exp in a random skill", "double exp for a week", "level 90 in a skill of choice" and more appear on the market. It's Real World Trading, there's no denying that, and they've finally put it into the game.

Also feel bad for the Jagex mods who are posting, to get in their position they clearly are aware what this update means. I don't believe for a second Timbo or Mat genuinely believe it isn't gambling but are having to obey orders and post bullcrap to attempt to calm the storm.
[Image: 17703973.jpg]

1/99 RuneCrafting
[Image: Ez9Z]
[Image: F8Cs]
[Image: Gtmt]
We must strive to reach the simplicity that lies beyond sophistication.
[Image: SKPQd.gif]
(2012-04-03 10:48:43)ReturnFate Wrote:  [Image: nFSu]

that made me lol welcome to luckscape Biggrin

Anyway, I'm glad i lost the interest in the game when I did and I could never take it as seriously as I used too although I understand the frustration from alot of people about this update, if I cared enough I'd probably be raging about it too but as it's been said before, Jagex arent the first mmo to use these kind of transactions.

Runescapers are spoiled. RS has an insane amount of content to the point where a good probably quarter goes almost completely unused, simply because "there's better things to do." To say this update in particular stagnates things for another week just proves that; most MMOs update what, bi-weekly? Monthly? And usually then it's just a patch to fix what's wrong with the already existing content. As people have also said, many other games have microtransactions, for a lot more advantageous things than fairly useless spins.

I say meh to this update, the only people I see getting truly upset are the ones that take their experience gains very seriously, which I don't. I do wish they'd have left it out, but really, it doesn't matter either way to me. Maybe I'm too easy to please, but I'm just thankful that the game hasn't imploded yet.
[Image: evaluate-staff.png] 
Have a question? My PM is always ON.
(2012-04-03 16:32:48)Evaluate Wrote:  Runescapers are spoiled. RS has an insane amount of content to the point where a good probably quarter goes almost completely unused, simply because "there's better things to do." To say this update in particular stagnates things for another week just proves that; most MMOs update what, bi-weekly? Monthly? And usually then it's just a patch to fix what's wrong with the already existing content. As people have also said, many other games have microtransactions, for a lot more advantageous things than fairly useless spins.

Being "spoiled" has nothing to do with it. Frequent game updates and improvements are among the benefits Jagex lists as incentives to purchase membership, and we have every right to complain if we feel we're not getting what we pay for.

More importantly, I'd like to see the game flourish. Good updates will bring in more players, which is an improvement in and of itself. This update does the opposite.

And yes, there is a lot of unused content. There are quests which are played through only once. There's content that doesn't draw enough people to make it worthwhile. And there's content that just isn't that much fun to begin with. Sometimes these things are hit and miss, but at the very least we could say there was a legitimate effort to improve Runescape. You can't say that with this. The sole purpose of this update, no matter what anyone tells you, was to line the pockets of Jagex's investors. They don't care what effect it has on the game, as long as it makes them richer.

Finally, what other companies do with their MMOs is irrelevant. Runescape got to where it is today on a different business model, and Jagex absolutely did not have to resort to tactics such as the ones employed in other games. They are going against the principles that made them successful in the first place, and their users are becoming less and less interested in their product.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones
Quoted from another source

"So I go to the website of Insight Venture partners (majority shareholders) and I discover that they are the ones that have control of NEXON!@$@#^%@!#$

For those of you who don't know, Nexon controls Maplestory. Those of you that have played Maplestory, you know why this is a terrible thing. For those of you that haven't, here are some reasons why this is sickening.

It used to take effort to level in Maplestory and people looked up to the level 200's (max level in ms) you felt accomplished leveling up and had a goal to look forward to.

Nexon comes along and starts completely destroying the game.

1. It took years to get to level 200 and now it takes 1-2 months
2. Shady tactics of constantly changing the combat system forcing you to buy upgrades from the cash shop if you want good gear
3. Constant nerfing of characters damage and skills forcing you to make new characters to hit better damage
4. They used to have occasional events like rs does that could give you rare items if you put effort into killing monsters. Now they have events that pretty much go all year round but these events give free high level equip boxes that are extremely common, 4x exp events 6x exp events and you can even get up to 9x exp with power ups for up to 4 hours at a time... they even have items that instantly level you.

What this means for Runescape.

Things will get way too easy and everybody will be maxed with little effort. There will be no goals to look forward to and there will be a change to combat/skills that requires you to buy sketchy items that only work based on chance in a cash shop in order to have better skills/stats than other people.

Companies have to make money, I get it. Insight Venture though clearly has 0 care about games and the players."

Thats the company now in charge of runescape
Imagine they might sell a player a 9x exp box for a 4 hr period..hmm not a nice feeling
[Image: Freewendy.png] [Image: x_3ba634e5-1.gif]

(2012-04-03 21:36:44)Wendy Wrote:  Quoted from another source

"So I go to the website of Insight Venture partners (majority shareholders) and I discover that they are the ones that have control of NEXON!@$@#^%@!#$

For those of you who don't know, Nexon controls Maplestory. Those of you that have played Maplestory, you know why this is a terrible thing. For those of you that haven't, here are some reasons why this is sickening.

It used to take effort to level in Maplestory and people looked up to the level 200's (max level in ms) you felt accomplished leveling up and had a goal to look forward to.

Nexon comes along and starts completely destroying the game.

1. It took years to get to level 200 and now it takes 1-2 months
2. Shady tactics of constantly changing the combat system forcing you to buy upgrades from the cash shop if you want good gear
3. Constant nerfing of characters damage and skills forcing you to make new characters to hit better damage
4. They used to have occasional events like rs does that could give you rare items if you put effort into killing monsters. Now they have events that pretty much go all year round but these events give free high level equip boxes that are extremely common, 4x exp events 6x exp events and you can even get up to 9x exp with power ups for up to 4 hours at a time... they even have items that instantly level you.

What this means for Runescape.

Things will get way too easy and everybody will be maxed with little effort. There will be no goals to look forward to and there will be a change to combat/skills that requires you to buy sketchy items that only work based on chance in a cash shop in order to have better skills/stats than other people.

Companies have to make money, I get it. Insight Venture though clearly has 0 care about games and the players."

Thats the company now in charge of runescape
Imagine they might sell a player a 9x exp box for a 4 hr period..hmm not a nice feeling
If your source is correct, then I might as well be done with Runescape. Welcome to NeoScape.
[Image: t98j8w.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Answered Question about the Squeel or Wheel of Fortune. Huey 2 3,263 2012-11-03 21:16:10
Last Post: Huey
  The Squeal of Neptune Mini Kniight 14 9,038 2012-06-08 01:15:48
Last Post: Dave
  Squeal of Fortune Spins Angus 54 27,814 2012-06-05 15:43:49
Last Post: Elrydith
  Squeal of Fortune: Win More, Win Big! Mini Kniight 11 7,869 2012-05-29 14:07:34
Last Post: Random Dandy
  Spin and Win on the Squeal of Fortune! Shay 16 9,732 2012-03-02 06:53:44
Last Post: Wendy